Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Troubleshoot your device issues
Trout_Whistle's profile

• 

8 Messages

Saturday, January 28th, 2023 4:37 AM

Closed

AT&T won't port my Straight Talk number

My Straight Talk number was originally an AT&T number. Now I want to switch back to AT&T, but they won't let me keep my same number because they cannot "port" it. Why can't/won't they do it and is there a way around this? What is the hang up? (pun intended)

• 

8 Messages

1 year ago

What do you mean "a different market?" I am still in the same state and same area code, my location is only 30 or 40 miles away from the original store I went to.

ACE - Scholar

• 

991 Messages

1 year ago

Different market could be different area code halfway across the state.  Same area code most likely same market.

• 

8 Messages

1 year ago

I think I gotta take the loss and just get a new number, unless anyone else has any suggestions on how to proceed. I appreciate everyone's help though, thank you for taking time out of your day to help.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

1 year ago

You’ve already been given a good suggestion, file an FCC complaint. At the very least they’ll be able to give you a valid reason your number can’t be ported.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.7K Messages

1 year ago

The reason I am switching off of straight talk is because they were bought by Verizon, and I suspect they will discontinue service for GSM sim cards at some point.

No such thing anymore

GSM was 2g, it's long gone

CDMA was 2g/3g, it's also gone. 

What is left is LTE and 5g.

Which is currently for the most part Universal between all service providers. What I mean by that is anything that will work on AT&T will most likely also work on Verizon and T-Mobile. IPhones are Universal devices and will work anywhere on any service provider. Flagship Samsungs made for the United States will work on any US service provider and there are even some non-us Samsungs that work.  

Verizon probably would not have offered you a SIM card if the phone you are using was not compatible with their Network.. 

And FCC complaint is a free and very short form which can be filled out online in a couple of minutes. The form is simply forwarded back to AT&T upper management and someone will contact you. 

As suggested, switching to a Verizon sim card might either make up your mind to stay with straight talk because it works just fine, or, free up your phone number as far as AT&T can see so that they can Port it from straight talk. I see that as a no lose... 

• 

8 Messages

1 year ago

"You’ve already been given a good suggestion, file an FCC complaint. At the very least they’ll be able to give you a valid reason your number can’t be ported."

I did end up doing that, I forgot about it when I signed off originally, and I didn't realize you had commented again. I was able to resolve the issue when someone from AT&T called me in response to the FCC complaint. It turns out I owed something like $13.50 from my first AT&T account, and for some stupid reason that was what was blocking the port. I don't know why that information was unavailable to everyone else at the store and on the phone when I was trying to figure it out. I also had no access to my previous account; I tried searching for it on the AT&T website. It apparently still existed somewhere.

Anywho, if anyone else is every trying to switch back to AT&T, this could be the reason you can't keep your number, and no one you talk to will know it.

"GSM was 2g, it's long gone

CDMA was 2g/3g, it's also gone. 

What is left is LTE and 5g.

Which is currently for the most part Universal between all service providers. What I mean by that is anything that will work on AT&T will most likely also work on Verizon and T-Mobile."

I live in a rural area, and the only phones that get cell service at my place of work are AT&T. Nobody I work with that has Verizon can get service. I guess I don't know the real reason behind that, but that's why I chose the GSM card 10 years ago or whenever it was that I was switching to Straight Talk. That is also the reason I chose AT&T over Verizon when switching back to a regular plan. AT&T has the best coverage in my state. I don't know if some towers are just not active for different carriers or what the deal is, but we're pretty limited here in the Northeast.

ACE - Scholar

• 

991 Messages

1 year ago

You are lucky it didn't go to collections and balloon with fees to thousands of dollars.

I didn't think of that case.  Same market, why not get the last bill?

And since Verizon has been pushing people on networks other than the Verizon network, I can see why someone would want to get ahead of things.  They may get around to that person at an inconvenient time.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.