Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!
I
igorjrr

• 

28 Messages

Mon, Jun 15, 2020 6:37 PM

AT&T Transparent Proxy not stable, hanging connections to websites

AT&T Transparent Proxy is failing sometimes. Suddenly, unable to navigate to any website, however ports other than 80 (HTTP) and 443 (HTTPS) work. Everything that goes through the Transparent Proxy (HTTP and HTTPS) stops working until I reset my data connection.

When it stops working, I'm still able to navigate to websites in different ports (for example 8081), FTP, ping, trace route, etc.

I'm unable to point exactly what AT&T proxy server is failing because this is something that hosts see. When it works, I can use online tools (for example http://amibehindaproxy.com/) and see some proxies like this: HTTP/1.1 nycnz02msp2ts04.wnsnet.attws.com.

This has been happening for almost 2 months, but got worse in the past two weeks, requiring data reset several times a day.

This is not related to my account as the connection is always available. It only fails when navigating to HTTP/HTTPS because these go through this transparent proxy. Everything else (FTP, other ports, etc.) always work.

If I use a VPN, I don't have this issue anymore because the VPN bypass this AT&T Transparent Proxy. However I can't (and don't want to) use VPN all the time.

Please investigate and fix this. There is nothing else I can do because it's on AT&T side (AT&T proxies).

Responses

• 

2 Messages

4 months ago

This sounds exactly like what I'm seeing with my wireless home phone & Internet.  Phone keeps working, I can ping internet servers no problem.  If I have a Skype meeting in process, it works fine.  But any new HTTP/HTTPS connection fails.  At least now I know it's not just me.  And it's gotten really bad for us in the last 5 days.

igorjrr

• 

28 Messages

I believe more people are having this issue and AT&T is not doing their job and checking their proxy servers, blaming on device, poor signal, etc.

• 

10 Messages

this sounds exactly what I'm seeing. 

• 

2 Messages

Has anyone tried putting a proxy server or router between their devices and the IFA? Wondering if that would be a workaround, consolidate proxy requests.

• 

10 Messages

Whatever the issue is it seems to be getting worse.  I've had to restart my router 3 times so far today.  Ughhh.  I received my new router last Friday and never had this many problems with my old unit.  

• 

2 Messages

So I found a fix.  Costs me $3/month, but it works.  VPN.  I'm using PrivateInternetAccess.com.  I've now been rock solid for over 24hrs, which is a huge improvement over the 4-5 I was getting before.  

I may keep using it even if they do fix their proxy, as I think it may actually have SPED UP the initial connection to a site.  And heck, if it keeps AT&T from being able to sniff my traffic and sell my info - darn.

• 

10 Messages

Has anyone talked with tech support regarding this issue?

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.5K Messages

By the way if you are having a problem with home internet might want to post in the correct forum. This has all been posted in the wireless AKA cell phone forum

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
igorjrr

• 

28 Messages

@lrosgood : thanks, might be indeed the cheapest option! However VPN is not always a solution - you might have issues with some websites. AT&T should fix their servers.

@DonGellenthien : Yes I contacted the Advanced Support, and they are not Advanced. When they asked me to reboot my device it is clear they ignored everything technical I said.

@lizdance40 : Wireless is not only cell phone. It is a wireless service, through a hotspot.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

43.2K Messages

@igorjrr  Yes but this wireless forum is specifically for cellular wireless. There is a separate internet service forum. Your chances of getting a reply from someone knowledgeable about ATT’s proxy are much higher posting in the right forum.

(edited)

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
igorjrr

• 

28 Messages

@sandblaster I can't confirm because I don't have AT&T Home Internet service, but it seems that Internet product does not have this proxy. Only wireless service has this proxy when accessing Internet.

igorjrr

• 

28 Messages

AT&T, you are still expected to fix this.

igorjrr

• 

28 Messages

Wake up, AT&T.

• 

7 Messages

4 months ago

How is your VPN set up?  VPN router or VPN software at each internet device?

igorjrr

• 

28 Messages

4 months ago

AT&T? Are you concerned your customers are unhappy with connectivity issues caused by your proxy (that you might use to spy on user's activity), or not at all?

• 

7 Messages

4 months ago

I decided to try VPN and it made no difference. 

• 

7 Messages

4 months ago

My VPN does not help. Please explain your VPN configuration which alleviates the problem?

igorjrr

• 

28 Messages

The VPN I have setup as a workaround is configured in the router. OpenWRT with OpenVPN.

If activating VPN does not fix it for you, you might have another issue.

This thread was create to raise awareness as to why Internet stops working even though customer is fully connected to AT&T. AT&T blames customers and their devices, but in this case it is not our problem - it is AT&T simply providing a unreliable service through their proxy servers (used, among other reasons, to spy what users are doing).

• 

2 Messages

3 months ago

I can confirm that igorjrr is correct with the work around. 

I placed VPN my router and I was no longer dropping.

To test it out, I turned the VPN on my router off, waited for ATT to stop responding, I turned the VPN on in the router and it started working. I even double checked by connecting directly to the ATT wireless device and still no internet but the VPN was passing through the ATT wireless device no problem. 

Unfortunately, VPN's can cause other issues. 

1. If you are using a free one, they may not be secure and may be tracking you. You will have to now spend money every month on a VPN service.

2. Your connections may be much slower and less responsive depending on what service and what server you are connecting to through your VPN.

3. Streaming services may not work. The VPN I have, I have to change the server depending on which service I want to use ( netflix, disney+, Amazon ).

4. You may not be able to get to certain sites. This included random internet sites and as my wife found, she cannot get to her secured work site through a VPN.

When I last spoke to ATT support about this a couple of days ago. They basically said there is nothing more they can do. I have called in 8 times and opened 2 cases with backend, who never contacted me ( they said they would call within 48 hours ), and both have gone nowhere.

I have decided this is unacceptable to me since I work from home and need dependable service. ATT has aggravated me to the point I will be leaving all ATT / Direct TV with over a $400 a month spend and going Spectrum ( They have cell service now as well, hopefully it works good ).

(edited)

igorjrr

• 

28 Messages

3 months ago

Yes, unfortunately AT&T is incompetent and is not fixing this issue. Isn't this unbelievable? Proxy server(s) that leave customers unable to open pages, for months, and nobody at AT&T can fix this.

Maybe they outsource their spying servers (proxy servers) so they have no control? It's possible that this is the case.

If you are a (Edited per community guidelines) reading this, this is a very good case for a multi-million (Edited per community guidelines) because it impacts users all over the country. I could certainly receive a payment for doing this investigation and suggesting a workaround!

(edited)

• 

1 Message

3 months ago

I am also seeing this specific issue.  It started about 2 weeks ago and in the last few days I've had to restart my modem every couple of hours.  Like the OP, I'm able to make connections on every other port except 80/443 when the issue happens.  The connection is still up but unuseable.

I've even tried upgrading to a new modem only to have the same issue appear within the first hour of use, which precludes any issue with my hardware.

AT&T you have a problem with your proxies, please rectify this.  I'm sure more people than those in this thread are being effected.  This is my only option for internet connectivity at my rural home!

• 

10 Messages

3 months ago

I contacted AT&T last week and spoke to two agents.  I think they use a trouble shooting script on all calls since both people asked me the same questions.  I asked if they knew the product and neither did.  I asked to talk to someone with knowledge of the product and was told their manager would call me in 24-48 hours.  Never heard from them.  I feel your pain.  I've had my unit for a month and have had to reboot it multiple time every day.  Terrible support in my eyes in selling a product that doesn't work.

• 

7 Messages

3 months ago

ATT, do you monitor these forums and respond to common issues?  Your customers are having issues with the IFWA device and the issue is on your side.  It's not the connection strength, refreshing network settings does not work, restarting the device does not resolve the issue, it's not the SIM card, or the customer's plan.  The customer/tech support interaction is frustrating as they all follow the same placating script and there is no follow-up.

To all who have been having this issue, please explore other options for LTE-based Internet service like using a reseller who can provide a higher-end router/modem that works with multiple carriers.  Generally, unlimited plans can be found for ~$80/mo. 

I teach customer support and Service Management and will use this experience as a case study of what not to do.

igorjrr

• 

28 Messages

3 months ago

@parkerdc They monitor, but they are not interested in fixing this. It affects not just IFWA device (for example, I have another hotspot).

• 

6 Messages

3 months ago

ATT needs to get it together and fix this. For everyone else following this thread and having the same issue, I implore you to file a complaint with the FCC here. Additionally, if you're in an underserved internet area in the US, reach out to your local federal representatives and let them know that you're in a census block that is underserved, you've filed a complaint with an FCC and you're seeking any potential help as a remedy.

-JC

• 

10 Messages

3 months ago

n2pb, thank you for the link for filing the FCC complaint.  I filled the form out earlier today and just received a call from AT&T.  The person opened an escalation case so I would suggest anyone having this issue to file a complaint.  

• 

2 Messages

3 months ago

Has anyone thought that at&t for some reason is doing this on purpose?

• 

4 Messages

2 months ago

I am experiencing exactly this when using my phone in my neighborhood... no cellular data unless I use a VPN. AT&T phone CS is unhelpful despite continued promises of resolution.

Get started...

Ask a new question