For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
I

• 

31 Messages

Monday, June 15th, 2020 6:37 PM

AT&T Transparent Proxy not stable, hanging connections to websites

AT&T Transparent Proxy is failing sometimes. Suddenly, unable to navigate to any website, however ports other than 80 (HTTP) and 443 (HTTPS) work. Everything that goes through the Transparent Proxy (HTTP and HTTPS) stops working until I reset my data connection.

When it stops working, I'm still able to navigate to websites in different ports (for example 8081), FTP, ping, trace route, etc.

I'm unable to point exactly what AT&T proxy server is failing because this is something that hosts see. When it works, I can use online tools (for example http://amibehindaproxy.com/) and see some proxies like this: HTTP/1.1 nycnz02msp2ts04.wnsnet.attws.com.

This has been happening for almost 2 months, but got worse in the past two weeks, requiring data reset several times a day.

This is not related to my account as the connection is always available. It only fails when navigating to HTTP/HTTPS because these go through this transparent proxy. Everything else (FTP, other ports, etc.) always work.

If I use a VPN, I don't have this issue anymore because the VPN bypass this AT&T Transparent Proxy. However I can't (and don't want to) use VPN all the time.

Please investigate and fix this. There is nothing else I can do because it's on AT&T side (AT&T proxies).

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

@icaruspony I'm not really into conspiracy theories, but I can understand your reasoning. However, to point out a flaw, I have an AT&T home phone and internet plan, so the device is expected to stay stationary. I'm also only getting to about half of my allotted data each month, so while I'm probably not a "normal" customer, I'm also not on a grandfathered (truly) unlimited plan and racking up the data usage. I've seen posts from people on their newer plans (50GB data/month) that are having the same issue without getting close to their maximum either. As for the nightly shut-down I'm experiencing, it could either be coincidence or a temporary "feature" to ease my frustration. Either way, it does seem to be less frustrating at this point.

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Well I bit the bullet and bought a mini pc with dual NICs.  Loaded pfSense as DHCP server.  Going to test and see how long until I get cut off.  If I do then I will set up the VPN client on pfSense and hopefully solve this issue.

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

One thing to note.  Ipv4 gets the proxy but ipv6 doesnt

(edited)

• 

12 Messages

4 years ago

@mraymond321 This is interesting, maybe a possible workaround.  Going to look into this further.

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Same problem here started in the summertime. Upgraded to IFWA-40, no improvement. Now 6 - 10 disconnects a day.  We are on the Wireless Home Phone Unlimited although our "Rural" plan sells us a limit of 250 gb per month.  One other strange thing  i've noted is the Cellular Signal strength will jump from the high one-teens (1 bar ) to 99 or less (4 bars) for a period of time then drop back down to 1 bar. One more reason I think these shenanigans are intentionally designed to get me off my plan because my 250 gbs of bandwidth can be divided amongst 50 or more phone customers creating 50 times more revenue than they are getting out of me.

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

@mraymond321 and @brunson2215 I already attempted that but it's device dependent. I tried to set the Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 for IPv6 only but wasn't successful.

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

@igorjrr

Yeah after some testing I got the same with my MR1100.  I now have PIA vpn setup on a pfsense router and is working beautifully(After some hair pulling!)  BTW if anyone is going to do the same with a MR1100 let me know there are a few settings that need to be done in pfsense for the gateway to come online(very hidden settings).  But my I-net has been up for over 5 hours without having to restart(usually need to restart every 1-2 hours)  Happy so far.  I'm going to continue visiting this thread as ATT needs to fix this regardless.

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I filed a rebuttal to the response I received. I received a call from the same representative and was told that "our position remains the same as their service is working as intended as per their terms of service."

I asked why my data was data was being sent through a proxy and he just repeated the same response as before. 

I asked if someone could please address my privacy concern and he said from their standpoint their service is working as intended so I would not receive a call from anyone else.

I called the FCC to advise that there was no resolution and they said that I could file a formal complaint and attend a court hearing or reach out to my state representative here in Texas.

I beyond disappointed that this is the way customers are being treated at this time in our country. 

@mraymond321 where can I contact you for the steps? 

(edited)

• 

11 Messages

3 years ago

Same issue here, even bought a cheap replacement MF279! No difference.

• 

11 Messages

3 years ago

I will also note it seems some sites and services work all the time. YouTube should always load video even when its not working also my trading platform always has connection even when it goes down.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.