For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
I

• 

31 Messages

Monday, June 15th, 2020 6:37 PM

AT&T Transparent Proxy not stable, hanging connections to websites

AT&T Transparent Proxy is failing sometimes. Suddenly, unable to navigate to any website, however ports other than 80 (HTTP) and 443 (HTTPS) work. Everything that goes through the Transparent Proxy (HTTP and HTTPS) stops working until I reset my data connection.

When it stops working, I'm still able to navigate to websites in different ports (for example 8081), FTP, ping, trace route, etc.

I'm unable to point exactly what AT&T proxy server is failing because this is something that hosts see. When it works, I can use online tools (for example http://amibehindaproxy.com/) and see some proxies like this: HTTP/1.1 nycnz02msp2ts04.wnsnet.attws.com.

This has been happening for almost 2 months, but got worse in the past two weeks, requiring data reset several times a day.

This is not related to my account as the connection is always available. It only fails when navigating to HTTP/HTTPS because these go through this transparent proxy. Everything else (FTP, other ports, etc.) always work.

If I use a VPN, I don't have this issue anymore because the VPN bypass this AT&T Transparent Proxy. However I can't (and don't want to) use VPN all the time.

Please investigate and fix this. There is nothing else I can do because it's on AT&T side (AT&T proxies).

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Just signed up for service with a brand new MR1100 hotspot that was provided and branded by AT&T for this service. We're out in middle of nowhere and no land-line service seems to be available. So we signed up for an expensive unlimited hotspot plan to service a small office.

The device is less than 2 full days old, and it's already dropped out three times, responding to 192.168.1.1 just fine, but requiring someone to log into the web interface and reboot the hotspot that way - because unplugging it just makes it go to battery power (wish it would just turn off). Investigating the issue, I find the exact same things - that the AT&T transparent proxy is to blame, and that all our web traffic is being infuriatingly funneled through an unwanted AT&T proxy server. Probably so they can recompress images, skim and reformat ad provider services to steal ad revenue, and maybe save a few bytes of data traffic. Absolutely not an acceptable business practice...

So we're probably going to call AT&T and do the song and dance with incompetent India tech support tomorrow, and if they don't resolve it, going to cancel and return the thing and go with a different provider.

(edited)

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Mine is on "broadband"  are you having the issues on "internet" as well?

I'll check out some more when I get home and report back 

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Chiming in with same issue.

I replaced a Z700a with a MF279, but no change in the problem. Working around it by piggybacking an ASUS router that sends all internet traffic through a VPN. No drops at all using the second router. If I want to watch Netflix I use the hotspot capability on my phone. With the VPN. 

If you just need an internet connection without any special routing capability,  another option might be to just add a cheap cell phone that can hotspot to your existing plan, port the homebase phone number (unless that kills your plan), and use that instead of the Homebase device. Install an android VPN client (to bypass the useless proxy) and leave it plugged into the wall. Point your Roku and laptop at it, and you're done. 

(edited)

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

I'm using the APN "nxtgenphone". 

(edited)

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Just an update. It's been a couple of months since I filed my FCC complaint. I'm still having the same issues as you all are on this thread as well. There have been numerous complaints to the office of the president, from what I've heard from my contact there. There's still no knowledge of what's going on, nor is there any ETA on a resolution. This issue appears to be both plan and device agnostic. The best thing I can tell anyone else to do is to call 800-331-0500, and continually request status updates from an advanced technical support agent on Trend 1160. This is the backend issue number that ATT is using to track this problem. My case, as well as many others, are associated with this, I recommend ya'll do the same.

Thanks!

-JC

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I mean, really, they shouldn't be reformatting web requests using a transparent proxy in the first place. This is the only ISP I've seen doing that, and it's a shocking breach of privacy and trust - not to mention the problems we're having when that shady system breaks down. It's a compelling reason to use a VPN - not to protect against hacking or whatever, but to solve this performance problem and to keep AT&T's proxy from skimming and modifying any information they want (a proxy has complete control over what you see and send!).

Tell AT&T to remove this transparent proxy, not to fix it!

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

Update on what I am experiencing.  I have had fewer problems with the need to reboot the modem/router to get a different proxy server connection.  However, now I have problems with my VPN (note, the VPN had continued to work while it was my phone on wifi that lost internet connectivity because of this behavior identified in this thread).  Now the connection to wifi often fails or causes other connection problems. I have not completely diagnosed the problem, but this is new behavior, and is not due to problems with my employer's VPN.  Typically uploads stall, and website loadings get stuck when trying to establish a secure connection (i.e. the SSL handshake with https).  Twice today when following links from google searches google said there was suspicious activity coming from my computer and sent me through a CAPTCHA to continue.  I have never seen that before.

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I have filed an FCC privacy complaint.  That is the part that is most disturbing.  

Everyone needs to file an FCC complaint and we should organize around a (Edited per community guidelines)

(edited)

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Nighthawk MR1100 here. I've been using AT&T wireless service for years. About 60 - 90 days ago it started droping out several times per day. Exactly the same symptoms as mentioned here by others.

It's good to know I'm not crazy.

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

What is everyone's proxy showing up as? If I go to amibehindaprixy.com I get this.

hstnz01msp4ts04.wnsnet.attws.com

ATT how can we get your attention!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.