Troubleshoot your device issues
I

• 

31 Messages

Monday, June 15th, 2020 6:37 PM

AT&T Transparent Proxy not stable, hanging connections to websites

AT&T Transparent Proxy is failing sometimes. Suddenly, unable to navigate to any website, however ports other than 80 (HTTP) and 443 (HTTPS) work. Everything that goes through the Transparent Proxy (HTTP and HTTPS) stops working until I reset my data connection.

When it stops working, I'm still able to navigate to websites in different ports (for example 8081), FTP, ping, trace route, etc.

I'm unable to point exactly what AT&T proxy server is failing because this is something that hosts see. When it works, I can use online tools (for example http://amibehindaproxy.com/) and see some proxies like this: HTTP/1.1 nycnz02msp2ts04.wnsnet.attws.com.

This has been happening for almost 2 months, but got worse in the past two weeks, requiring data reset several times a day.

This is not related to my account as the connection is always available. It only fails when navigating to HTTP/HTTPS because these go through this transparent proxy. Everything else (FTP, other ports, etc.) always work.

If I use a VPN, I don't have this issue anymore because the VPN bypass this AT&T Transparent Proxy. However I can't (and don't want to) use VPN all the time.

Please investigate and fix this. There is nothing else I can do because it's on AT&T side (AT&T proxies).

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks @bluefuego . Basically, they are truly incompetent, keep blaming devices. It is clear their service as investigated.

Poor business, when they reach that level of bad technical awareness, we can see the end.

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

One of my friends does know an ATT tech here locally; she is going to ask him if he knows what the problem/solution is. Initially she tried to help me "troubleshoot", but I doubled down and bet her that if she were to come to my house, she would experience the exact same problems on her phone. Low and behold, she did. Maybe this tech will have some insight. It will be a few days/week before I hear back though. I will update this thread if any new information comes to light.

In the meantime, I will try crafting a civil reply to Edwanda.

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Same issue here! Been going on for almost two months. Its reported on several other forums. VPN connections keep working, all other connections (at least port 80 web traffic) seems to drop. A reset fixed for some random amount of time and then it happens again. I have tested in multiple states/locations. Clearly there is a widespread issue.

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

I have replied twice here, and both times my responses disappeared.  Posting again to see if this happens once more.

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

Well, That one didn't get removed.  I wonder if the other ones were removed because I mentioned a three-letter federal agency that uses the 6th and 3rd letters of the alphabet?

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

I have been having the same issues as you all.  I am using a Nighthawk MR1100 via IP pass through (serves internet for the house since I am in the country).  Starting around the pandemic time frame(3 months ago) We can use the internet and randomly(sometimes 2-3 times a day) it will cut out(We have been using this service/hardware with no issues for 2+ years until now).  BUT if I am on a certain web page or watching/listening music, everything cuts out except for the media/web page that I was using.  If I go to another web page it sits there(chrome browser says connecting...but video/music/downloads will still play)  This has become such an issue that I went to the extreme and bought another $350 hot spot and still does the same thing!

Hopefully ATT responds.  If this isn't a proxy issues then what is it....could it be a faulty SIM card?  

Anyone?

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

@mraymond321 It is not your device, nor your SIM. It is caused by AT&T proxy servers that serve webpages to you. AT&T showed very clearly that they don't have any intention to fix this. Your options are: dealing with a VPN (cause problems with many websites, but keep your connection up) or move away from AT&T. Of course, please join the voice and open a FCC complaint so it shows another record of the same issue.

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

@igorjrr

Yeah its looking that way.  I was hoping to not have to resort to a VPN for a few reasons.  1. Its extra cost 2. browsing the web can sometimes be problematic 3. DD-WRT doesn't support LAG trunking for my R9000 router(Only way I can get a VPN Client installed to serve my network)

I get 100% signal strength since I am next to an AT&T tower.  What's odd is that it is only doing it to my hotspot.  Our cell phones with unlimited data have no issues.  It could have to do with AT&T silently shunning away those "unlimited" plans via hotspots.  

As I mentioned I had no issues for 2+ years until covid started.  I just think its a perfect coincidence.  I am not trying to get "unlimited" data for nefarious reasons....It's just that's my only option out here in the country.  To expect a household to use 50 or even 100GB in a month is ridiculous.  I average 300-350GB and that's not with any crazy downloading just video streaming/IP camera server/some gaming/occasional Linux distro downloads.

Why am I mentioning all of this.......well just in case of that small sliver of a chance that AT&T is looking at this. 

Keep this post alive guys/gals.

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

I'm having this exact problem too. My plan is the old unlimited plus that allowed to have hotspots.  My hotspot is a Netgear Nighthawk MR1100.  In July 29 I contacted at&t regarding this problem and without telling me they changed my hotspot from unlimited plus to dataconnect 5gb plan. Obviously this is not what I was asking for and the issue continued while I had this plan.  This caused my bill to increased a lot.  Fortunately this issue was resolved and they gave me a credit for the difference in my bill and move back the hotspot to unlimited plus but I still have the same problem as everyone in this post.

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

@mraymond321

It has nothing to do with you having an unlimited plan.  I got a new plan, 50 GB/month, and have the same problem.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.