For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
I

• 

31 Messages

Monday, June 15th, 2020 6:37 PM

AT&T Transparent Proxy not stable, hanging connections to websites

AT&T Transparent Proxy is failing sometimes. Suddenly, unable to navigate to any website, however ports other than 80 (HTTP) and 443 (HTTPS) work. Everything that goes through the Transparent Proxy (HTTP and HTTPS) stops working until I reset my data connection.

When it stops working, I'm still able to navigate to websites in different ports (for example 8081), FTP, ping, trace route, etc.

I'm unable to point exactly what AT&T proxy server is failing because this is something that hosts see. When it works, I can use online tools (for example http://amibehindaproxy.com/) and see some proxies like this: HTTP/1.1 nycnz02msp2ts04.wnsnet.attws.com.

This has been happening for almost 2 months, but got worse in the past two weeks, requiring data reset several times a day.

This is not related to my account as the connection is always available. It only fails when navigating to HTTP/HTTPS because these go through this transparent proxy. Everything else (FTP, other ports, etc.) always work.

If I use a VPN, I don't have this issue anymore because the VPN bypass this AT&T Transparent Proxy. However I can't (and don't want to) use VPN all the time.

Please investigate and fix this. There is nothing else I can do because it's on AT&T side (AT&T proxies).

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

@parkerdc They monitor, but they are not interested in fixing this. It affects not just IFWA device (for example, I have another hotspot).

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

ATT needs to get it together and fix this. For everyone else following this thread and having the same issue, I implore you to file a complaint with the FCC here. Additionally, if you're in an underserved internet area in the US, reach out to your local federal representatives and let them know that you're in a census block that is underserved, you've filed a complaint with an FCC and you're seeking any potential help as a remedy.

-JC

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

n2pb, thank you for the link for filing the FCC complaint.  I filled the form out earlier today and just received a call from AT&T.  The person opened an escalation case so I would suggest anyone having this issue to file a complaint.  

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Has anyone thought that at&t for some reason is doing this on purpose?

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I am experiencing exactly this when using my phone in my neighborhood... no cellular data unless I use a VPN. AT&T phone CS is unhelpful despite continued promises of resolution.

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

Here is an update from the FCC complaint I made last week.  I spoke a tech person a few times and he thought it was a setting issue and was supposed to get back to me earlier this week.  Yesterday I received a call from the Office of the President and she told me that the unlimited data plan is not compatible with my new IFWA-40 unit.  I was guaranteed when I purchased the unit that it was compatible with the unlimited plan.  They now want me to move to a 100GB plan or return the unit.   What a bad business decision on their part. 

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for the update. I also made the FCC complaint last week. Can you tell me what you reported (what you selected on the FCC complaint form)? I have not had anyone from the FCC or ATT reach out to me at all.

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

@DonGellenthien I'm sorry. Unfortunately this is how AT&T "fix" issues. They blame customers, and retaliates by making you lose the deal that you got. I recommend you making it very clear in your FCC complaint that AT&T is retaliating by requiring changes (or even cancellations/returns) on your side, instead of fixing the service. We are still customers, and they need us. The problem is that AT&T is too big and it takes a lot of customers to move away so they get their punch back. These service "issues" might be intentional, after all. Hopefully we'll have more options in the near future (T-Mobile Internet, Starlink, etc.).

Contributor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Same issue, has anyone tried changing their VPN passthrough under networking?  Disabled all but Open VPN, we will see what happens

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Well, finally heard back from ATT regarding my FCC complaint. They blamed my iPhone and claimed that they can not guarantee any level of service on unlocked phones. I didn't unlock my phone; I bought it directly from Apple for use on ATT network. I do believe it is unlocked however.

I have been able to work around the data service issues by either using a VPN or switching my phone to use 4G (turn off LTE). Neither of these solutions make sense to me and doesn't resolve my lack of visual voicemail messages coming through reliably or SMS text messages. But it's a workaround while I investigate other carriers.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.