Pre-order the New Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 & Galaxy Z Fold4 and, for a limited time, get twice the storage and a free case!
Troubleshoot your device issues
P

• 

4 Messages

Sat, Jan 4, 2020 6:55 AM

AT&T Telling Me iPhone I Purchased is Locked

I recently purchased an iPhone XS Max from an online market. The seller claimed that the phone was clean, clean IMEI, not blacklisted or iCloud locked, paid off, etc. I did some research to check the IMEI status and it appeared to be clean, and there was nothing indicating the phone had been reported lost or stolen. I bought the phone for my son, who uses AT&T Prepaid cards. The phone is not unlocked and is configured for use with AT&T. However, when my son went to the AT&T store to set up and start using this new phone, the store told him that the previous owner did not finish paying off the phone and that it was being blocked by AT&T. I have since tried to reach out to the seller to dispute the sale of the phone, and they have disappeared and blocked all communication from me. I would like to know what my options are for getting this phone to a state that it can be used again?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

58.8K Messages

3年前

Sorry but you have no options other than contacting the seller. You can’t even pay off the phone as ATT won’t share the account info needed to pay it off.

• 

4 Messages

Yeah, we even offered to pay the outstanding balance without the need to disclose to us any of the person's details, and they wouldn't even do that. Here's money, please take it... No? They won't even tell us how much is still outstanding.

• 

4 Messages

And, I'm not even sure that the low-life scum bag that sold me the phone is actually the one that didn't pay their bill - they may have just been unloading it after running into the same issues... No way to know who actually still owes AT&T some money for this phone...

ACE - Sage

• 

98.7K Messages

3年前

AT&T does not Blacklist phones for non-payment, unless the default is on the very first bill of a brand new account. Then AT&T May Blacklist everything for fraud. This seems somewhat unlikely. But if that is the case your son got ripped off, and there is no help from AT&T. I don't know if there is any recourse through Facebook Marketplace
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

58.8K Messages

”AT&T does not Blacklist phones for non-payment”

@lizdance40 Not sure that is true anymore. I think @GLIMMERMAN76 can expound on this but we’ve heard of this happening more and more.

Award for Community Excellence 2021 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Sage

• 

98.7K Messages

"AT&T does not Blacklist phones for non-payment” @lizdance40 Not sure that is true anymore. I think @GLIMMERMAN76 can expound on this but we’ve heard of this happening more and more." Only on new accounts.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2021 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

For a "brand new account", doesn't AT&T run a credit check? If so, why wouldn't they blacklist the person for fraud, rather than a device?

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.