Troubleshoot your device issues
realleah's profile

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, October 25th, 2020 2:25 PM

135 mb of download data every few minutes

We are being blasted with 135 mb chunks of data download usage (using cellular data on a netgear router, a pepwave router and my phone a hotspot) on laptops every few minutes, using up all our data in 2 days!  I've heard the guesses of YouTube, Amazon Music, cloud functions, automatic updating, background processes and some sort of gaming patches. Can someone tell me exactly what this is and how to stop it?

I've searched the ENTIRE www trying to find out. Why does no one know what this is? I will send you $50 if you can tell exactly what this is!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

As I told you on your other post, it could be anything on a laptop. No one can tell you what it is without knowing what you have running on the laptop. Only you can figure that out.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Not doubting you, Sandblaster, just frustrated with AT&T limiting my data. I did figure it out. YouTube Premium and YouTube TV are pulling the same amount of data every few minutes.

Thanks!

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have the same exact thing. Continual 135 MB. I DONT have YouTube Premium or YouTube TV. NOR DO o have Amazon Music. It’s bizarre that everyone online is pointing to exactly 135 MB mystery chunks with AT&T and nobody can figure it out. 

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

3 years ago

On your laptop, run the Resource Monitor and see what app(s) and which IP addresses are doing all this data transfer.

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Also any app that stream videos, YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc. Higher your strem resolution settings: 480p, 720p, 1080p, faster it grabs your data by 135MB chunks. Check your data log to verify the time and date, and Apps you were running when it started grabbing 135MB chunks of data.

At 720p setting - it grabs 135MB every 4 min, that's around 2 GB every hour.

At 480p settings - 135MB  every 15 min

Around 540MB every hour.

Of course  the rate will be significantly higher if your stream at 1080p or 4K

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.