Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
Help for account, billing & more
G

• 

9 Messages

Sat, Aug 28, 2021 4:47 AM

User ID = Wireless Number Ported-Out

Soooo, ported out a phone number and AT&T locked me out of my existing account. My User ID was the number that was ported. Don't see how the port would matter to a User ID, but apparently it does at AT&T. 

I clicked Forgot User ID and got an email that just referred me back to my existing User ID or sub accounts IDs; no help.

I clicked Forgot Password and got this message: "That info doesn’t look quite right. Try again."

I called Customer Service and got "we are now closed" message when I selected to speak to an agent.

Called Customer Service and selected technical support (since this truly is a technical issue) and got a person with extremely limited English skills, but I was able to communicate with him. He walked me through all the steps I noted above, even though I had explained that I had already followed them.

Rep then said that he could do nothing else and referred me to the AT&T Digital Assistance Center, at 877-267-2859. I called and a recording referred me to a toll free number for sales, then DISCONNECTED. Called again and got the same message and a second disconnect.

Problem not resolved.

Can you see why I ported out...?

ACE - Sage

• 

90.6K Messages

3 m ago

Each access ID is tied to a line of service.  If your access ID was tied to the line you ported out, you have to create an access ID for one of the lines that still exists on your AT&T account in order to gain access to the account.

'forgot password' does not work, as your user ID no longer exists.

https://www.att.com/support/article/my-account/KM1008917

If you no longer have any lines on AT&T, your account is closed.  Your final bill is mailed. 

FYI, this is true for Verizon as well as AT&T. And probably any carrier.  It is disappointing but whoever you spoke to did not understand the problem well enough to describe the solution to you.   

(edited)

• 

9 Messages

3 m ago

I tried to create an access ID but the site would not let me because the email is tied to an existing account. :-/

ACE - Sage

• 

90.6K Messages

3 m ago

So use a different email.

And again, you cannot make a user ID unless there is still a phone number on the account. If you ported out your only number, your account is closed.

• 

9 Messages

3 m ago

I get it on the ported number and

using one  of the other existing lines…thank you. 

This just doesn’t change the fact that it is silly to tie an account with multiple lines to one phone number and then prevent a customer from accessing if the number is ported or changed … Poor customer experience.

And, I should not have to use a different email; again, poor customer experience. 

AT&T could easily allow one unique User ID to control a master account, and still allow subaccounts access to it… And the whole kit-n-caboodle tied to one email address. 

I get that there are workarounds…  The current process  just makes for a poor customer experience. 

Thank you for your assistance and feedback. 

ACE - Sage

• 

90.6K Messages

3 m ago

And yet Verizon and t mobile both work the same way. 

It is for the purpose of secondary access or authorized user access which has less permissions then the account owner. It is also how one connects a connected device, like watch, to the phone. 

The account owner has an access ID which accesses the entire account and gives them sort of the master key to the entire account. But that master password and user ID is still tied to the primary line which you ported out.

(edited)

• 

9 Messages

3 m ago

… hence the problem. 

ACE - Sage

• 

90.6K Messages

3 m ago

A solvable problem.

Your still account owner, you just need to create new/unique ID for a different line. 

• 

9 Messages

3 m ago

Agreed, but this cannot be done without assistance from Customer Service. And, I called 3 times and got different answers. Should. Not. Be. Necessary.

Gives new meaning to their...  

...no texting/driving logo.

Thankfully, the last rep understood the problem and resolved the issue for me. :-)

Solved but lost hair along the way. It. LOL  Took. Too. Much. Time. And. Work. Again, terrible customer service experience.

You, though, "Liz," have done a phenomenal job on this forum; thank you!

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

54.5K Messages

3 m ago

I do not believe that your user id is tied to a specific line. I have never head of that. Are you using your email address as your user id or something else? If you were actually using the number that was ported as the user id, that would explain it. ATT did away with single word user id’s, you should be using your email address. Your email address is your user id, at least it is for me and has been since they stopped doing single word user id’s.

ACE - Sage

• 

90.6K Messages

3 m ago

Thank goodness.

Yeah, not understanding is SOP

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.