Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sun, Feb 10, 2019 12:43 AM

2-factor authentication not set up

help, i never set up 2-factor authentication so i can log in to my account but get stuck on a page that says "lets double check its really you" and says it will text a code to the mobile number however since i never set up the 2-factor authentication (picking which number) i get an error message making it impossible to actually access my account to set up the authentication, look at my account or do anything. is there a way to fix this (i was on live chat 30 minutes no help) without sitting on the phone with a representative...

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.9K Messages

a year ago

Exactly.  Amateur hour though. 🙄

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

I've been on an on line chat with at least two representatives, who say they're looking into it... for over an hour and a half.  I never authorized a two-step.  I log in through my computer.  Neither phone number that they have is in my possession, because they belong to my children, one of whom is currently out of the country.  The other's phone is currently in the shop, being fixed.  So, I guess I have an excuse for not paying the bill?

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

40.1K Messages

a year ago

@postie2go wrote:

I've been on an on line chat with at least two representatives, who say they're looking into it... for over an hour and a half.  I never authorized a two-step.  I log in through my computer.  Neither phone number that they have is in my possession, because they belong to my children, one of whom is currently out of the country.  The other's phone is currently in the shop, being fixed.  So, I guess I have an excuse for not paying the bill?

@postie2go It is not something you have a choice on, there is no option to authorize or not authorize it. You should have the option of sending the code to any phone number on your account. Without a doubt, ATT has done a terrible job of implementing this security feature. Sorry, though, that likely won't excuse you from paying your bill.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.9K Messages

a year ago

@postie2go wrote:

Since there are other ways of paying your bill, no this is not an excuse. Two factor authentication has been Added because AT&T takes the financial loss and you get all the aggravation if someone hacks your account and orders phones. 

While it may be an aggravation, it is a necessary evil. I do not understand why they are not sending the code to your phone. But I had the same problem with my account. 

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.4K Messages

a year ago

@postie2go If you're on the phone/chat a rep, they *should* be able to send a code to your email, for anything pertaining to that "chat session". 

The "overall unlock" or "account access" is going to be "tricky" though, if you truly have no regular access, to a line on that account (to get the text). You can check the "trust this computer/browser", box, and it lets you login, for awhile, without the 2nd-factor (the whole point of the "trust" part), until something "trips", or a certain amount of time goes by.  

What "trips", it, exactly, will probably not be published, by AT&T, because it would "weaken" their 2nd Factor here...

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

• 

2 Messages

a month ago

I can access my account but there is no option for enabling 2-factor authentication.  the at&t tech support folks on the phone dont even know what 2-factor auth is!  completely worthless!!!

Get started...

Ask a new question