Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sun, Feb 10, 2019 12:43 AM

2-factor authentication not set up

help, i never set up 2-factor authentication so i can log in to my account but get stuck on a page that says "lets double check its really you" and says it will text a code to the mobile number however since i never set up the 2-factor authentication (picking which number) i get an error message making it impossible to actually access my account to set up the authentication, look at my account or do anything. is there a way to fix this (i was on live chat 30 minutes no help) without sitting on the phone with a representative...

Responses

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.4K Messages

a year ago

@denisew28 This is almost-always the last-4 of your SSN, if you never used/changed it.

I'd HIGHLY recommend changing it to something else (and log it and/or write it down, whatever it takes to remember), the very first thing, and then logging out/back-in.

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

a year ago

I'm having this exact same issue. I never enabled 2FA, and each time I try to access ATT.com, it wants to send me a code to verify who I am. This is AFTER I've told it to remember the device. I haven't cleared my cookies or anything like that. I just spent 30 mins in chat and spoke with four different reps and none of them even tried to help with the issue. Each one kept saying, "Let me review the chat" and then wanted me explain the issue over and over again.

I just want to know how to turn this off (if possible). I have a very secure password, so I have no idea why this is even necessary, especially since it wasn't something we could opt-in to.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.9K Messages

a year ago

@beebsy34   AT&T won’t let you turn it off.  

What device are you using to sign in?  It only asks once on my At&t phone and iPad.  On computers, it’s going to ask each time.  

I complained to the community manager because it’s got other ridiculous issues and works like no 2FA ever.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

a year ago

Thanks for your help. I'm using my Win10 PC to log on. It's very ridiculous to have to have a code sent each time, especially if they offer the option to "Remember this device" yet it refuses to remember and asks to send the code. This should have been something we opted into, and that we should be able to opt-out of.

Thank you again for the info!

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.4K Messages

a year ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

What device are you using to sign in?  It only asks once on my At&t phone and iPad.  On computers, it’s going to ask each time.  

I complained to the community manager because it’s got other ridiculous issues and works like no 2FA ever.  

@lizdance40 Yeah, this isn't really a "2 factor" authentication mechanism, it's a "fixed value".  Perhaps a pseudo-2-factor, if you want to call it that ;-]

That said though, I can disable mine, and re-enable it, etc, I just did it a couple of times, on my account, all from a browser, on a PC.

Does it not even show you the option, to disable it, with the checkbox?

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.9K Messages

a year ago

@pgrey wrote:

@lizdance40 wrote:

@lizdance40 Yeah, this isn't really a "2 factor" authentication mechanism, it's a "fixed value".  Perhaps a pseudo-2-factor, if you want to call it that ;-]

That said though, I can disable mine, and re-enable it, etc, I just did it a couple of times, on my account, all from a browser, on a PC.

Does it not even show you the option, to disable it, with the checkbox?

Do you mean the PIN code?  That’s the only extra security that is user managed.  

AT&T has ‘real’ 2FA in use now.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.4K Messages

a year ago

@lizdance40 Yep, the 2-step (really not 2-factor) login, where you can turn the PIN off/on (change the value, whatever).

I don't see where they've set up/deployed an actual 2-factor system, do you have a pointer?  I've been searching all over their support site, as well as indexes into it, I just can't find it...

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.9K Messages

a year ago

@pgrey wrote:

@lizdance40 Yep, the 2-step (really not 2-factor) login, where you can turn the PIN off/on (change the value, whatever).

I don't see where they've set up/deployed an actual 2-factor system, do you have a pointer?  I've been searching all over their support site, as well as indexes into it, I just can't find it...

They have.  And it’s so bad.  In addition to the user name password and passcode/PIN, if you sign in on an unknown device, they want to send a code to a phone number on your plan.   The first few times it was fine, they sent to my At&t phone.  The most recent, on a new tablet, they would only send a code to my son’s phones. 

Fortunately my younger son was around. 

The 2factor can’t deal with tablet plans, it still wants to send a code, but won’t email. 

🤷🏼‍♀️

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.4K Messages

a year ago

@lizdance40 Weird, did you "sign up" for it?  What "triggered" the "2 factor" authentication?

I can still log in, the same as always, perhaps I'm not on a new SSO, or similar?
I've tried some various searches though, for the documentation on it (I assume it's there, because they're using it?), not having any luck finding it on the site?  I've tried stuff like "2 factor", "2nd factor authentication", "two factor", and more, add a "+AT&T", if searching from an external engine, no luck, I've found zilch.  Nothing popping up when searching broadly (trade rags, etc), either.

I'm really curious now.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.9K Messages

a year ago

@pgrey wrote:

@lizdance40 Weird, did you "sign up" for it?  What "triggered" the "2 factor" authentication?

I can still log in, the same as always, perhaps I'm not on a new SSO, or similar?
I've tried some various searches though, for the documentation on it (I assume it's there, because they're using it?), not having any luck finding it on the site?  I've tried stuff like "2 factor", "2nd factor authentication", "two factor", and more, add a "+AT&T", if searching from an external engine, no luck, I've found zilch.  Nothing popping up when searching broadly (trade rags, etc), either.

I'm really curious now.

Nope.  Others reported it months before it hit my account, which was recent.  

It tries to take into account that it doesn’t want to use your phone to verify you have your phone.  🤪.  

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.4K Messages

a year ago

@lizdance40 Hmm, this happened to me, today, and it sent the 2nd factor to my wife's phone (who probably hasn't looked at our account in 5+ years, even though she has the shared credentials, so that's handy).

She's in meetings, all day, no great way to reach her, except perhaps at lunch, or if she notices a text (from me).

For all AT&T knows, the "randomly selected number on your account" for verification, might belong to a family member who's in the backwoods of AK, for the next 5 weeks, trekking (or overseas, or ...).  What then, you wait 5-6 weeks, to access your account?

I was pretty PO-d, when I called CS, and asked to speak to accounts.  I was SUPER CLEAR that they were going to fix this, or I wasn't going to be an ATT customer, moving forward.  Somehow, she re-mapped the number for the code, and it sent my phone the code, as would be correct.

So it's working, maybe, until it doesn't, because you can't actually "see" which number this is assigned to.  The accounts rep was really not clear on how to verify this, she had nothing for me there, saying "yeah, we don't know how to check that with our systems", yeah, okay, so who does...

If I try the "I forgot my passcode" option, to get it re-sent (to my cell), it goes to one of those awesome "Sorry - it looks like you caught us at a bad time" 404 pages, clearly they've got a BIG problem with this, and there's no way (on the customer side) to fix it.

This is probably one of the worst "attempts at 2-factor" that I've seen, to-date.  AT&T better fix this, ASAP, or I bet they start to lose customers over this, (almost) all of us have our bills online nowadays, and locking people out of their accounts, based on a "random/half-implemented 2-factor mechanism" isn't going to cut it here, IMO.

Edit: I went into the "Contact Info" section of my account, and tried to change the "primary contact number", which is now "unassigned" (it was my cell#), and I cannot re-assign it, it just goes to another bad-page link, so yeah...

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.9K Messages

a year ago

@pgrey  Yup.  Pain in the neck.  Hope it gets fixed.  Funny, just when you thought it was safe . . . 

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.4K Messages

a year ago

@lizdance40 Yeah, that's putting it "nicely".  What if the number they have "chosen for you" is your relatives', who's on an extended backpacking trip, in the EU, or some other place where they don't want to (or can't) get texts, due to costs, whatever?

You're just denied access to your account, until they return, or ?

I think they're going to have serious problems, if they don't fix this, asap; I don't see how they can just lock people out, without a way to change the locking mechanism, even IF you're the primary account holder...

Who sets up 2-factor, without informing anyone?  No one, that's who, until now, or at least I've never heard of it.  It's always an "opt-in", or a "you must opt-in, and set this up" type of notification, for this exact reason.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.9K Messages

a year ago

🤷🏼‍♀️   @pgrey   That’s why I brought it up.  At best - inconsistent.  

I can understand it not being optional.  I read a Google article that stated only 10% of gmail accounts had 2 step.  My yahoo was hacked twice years ago.  They try my iTunes account often.  Facebook, PayPal, and all my financials are all 2 step secured.  Most have a back up.  If my phone number isn’t secure, nothing is.  

But geesh. Get it right.  

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.4K Messages

a year ago

@lizdance40 Sure, non-optional is fine, but it has to be done correctly.  You don't choose a "random 2nd Factor", and then tell people to "just figure it out", that's nuts.  

You also can't block the change of the "random 2nd Factor", if it's invalid (this had never occurred to me, until this happened), or unusable. 

When I called, you could tell that the CS rep I talked to had heard a LOT about this issue, already.  Even so, she kept interchanging "PIN" and "Code", they need to get their terminology straight, because the average customer is probably going to be "lost" here, when they call...

What a mess; this should be rolled-back, until they get it "sorted", IMHO.

Get started...

Ask a new question