Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

Shortly after midnight, AT&T lit up LTE here in the Romeo/Almont area. With all the upgrades this last few months all over Michigan......Kudos to AT&T!!

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

NE Lower MI Update:

Took a ride by the tower in Lovells, MI this afternoon. AT&T has installed broadband panels on this site which is one of the last sites in NE MI that is EDGE only. Sitting within a few hundred yards of the tower, my device held 1-2 bars of "4G" which it never did before at this exact spot as it always would revert to 5 bars of "E". Givin that there is no UMTS/HSPA+ in Lovells on the coverage map, I would say AT&T is possibly testing this site and will fire up 3G/4G earlier than the target date of March 2014 I stated in an earlier post. Awesome!

Screenshot_2013-11-30-15-01-01.png

1 Attachment

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

GREAT news for northern MI.  According to the FCC Spectrum Dashboard, it appears AT&T now has the paired 700 MHz spectrum to launch LTE in pretty much ALL of northern Michigan including the U.P.!!  

EDIT: There are some counties in northwest lower MI which appear to not have paired 700.

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

10 years ago

AT&T will have active LTE in many areas of northern Michigan by December 13, 2013. It will be a 5Mhz X 5Mhz (5X5) LTE network running on the 700Mhz Lower B Band. AT&T is also in the process of rebanding the CenturyTel 700Mhz Lower A Band for LTE in northern Michigan as well. The 700Mhz Lower B Band includes 90% of all counties in the northern lower area (excluding a few in NW MI) and also will be launching in the U.P. 

These are exciting times for AT&T customers, if your handset is LTE capable, keep your eyes peeled for the 'LTE' symbol next Friday, the 13th. 

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

10 years ago

Did they "shut off" Edge or is the coverage map just wonky right now?

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

Lol...no they didn't. Their mapping is a bit wonky right now as the coverage that is appearing under "voice" are the sites with UMTS/HSPA+. If you zoom in on a given location, the areas of GSM/EDGE will appear. I laughed when I seen that because I thought they were showing Verizon's coverage by mistake:)

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

10 years ago

Haha I didn't think it would be possible but you never do know with them.  It would give them another marketing ploy of "the only all "4g" network"...

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

Wow this is some big news. Surprising to hear since I checked the lathrop tower last week and there wasn't any change.

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

10 years ago

I hope Pickford tower will be getting 4G LTE. Not seeing any activity, but there is hope. I'm assuming it's a CenturyTel tower since that is the big phone company around here. Maybe I'm wrong.

The big roll of wire is still on the pole from last summer.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

American Ninja:

They haven't installed the broadband panels yet? I was told that tower should have been lit up by the end of November. There must be an unforseen problem or shortage of work crews.

JREwing53:

There is an Antenna registered to New Cingular Wireless/ AT&T Mobility ( 260 ft. in height)  just south of Pickford so it is a bonified AT&T site. There is another tower registered to Global Tower LLC which was formerly owned by Dobson but I don't think AT&T is using that one currently.

As far as your area getting LTE....not to worry as you will be getting it there. In fact, as per the Spectrum Dashboard.....Chippewa, Luce, and Mackinac Counties currently have more 700 MHz spectrum (24 MHz) then many of the other counties in the U.P. and L.P.:)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.