Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

I sincerely hope that you guys appreciate your new phones and upgraded network. In highly populated areas that have already been upgraded to 4G LTE, this is probably something that is not that cool/important to them. It's probably like being a kid in a candy store for you guys. 😄

I'm in Bay City and I have friends that have Verizon 4G LTE-capable smartphones. I asked them if it was noticeably faster than regular 3G and they said that it was. I've noticed that text messages send noticeably faster than they have before on AT&T. I wonder what it's like...

It's a downer that AT&T could not suit your standards, but what ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Enjoy! 🙂

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

@Tpeltz
I hope they keep rolling it out fast. If they are truly going to have statewide coverage by late summer then they will need to start lighting up huge areas at a time. I will drive by the tower in Lewiston tomorrow to see if the tower has new panels. It appears at least downstate that they are not replacing panels but rather adding new ones and leaving the old ones up.

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

I'm giving AT&T till the end of this summer, or else I'm moving on to Big Red.  They have been stalling us around here for too long.  Promises made by store employees just don't mean anything anymore.  When my friends down state seeing 4G LTE all over the place and there is no sign of even 3G to us, then that's it for me.

Rumor is that Verizon will have 4G LTE here by summer.  Pretty embarrasing that they have LTE and we are stuck on 2G Edge.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

I would say that Verizon will be turning on a lot of areas in the next few months up north and would suspect that the Soo right on down the I-75 corridore will be very soon. What I heard from a few AT&T techs 6 months ago, is that they were supposed to have 3G/H+ in Grayling and West Branch by the end of last year but that didn't happen. Very disappointing.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Well I found a website that shows areas of mapped coverage from people that travel around and post newly discovered network upgrades. This site is for all carriers: www.sensorly.com. Well I selected AT&T 4G and it shows the Detroit and Grand Rapids LTE areas but it also shows some coverage along U.S. 23 near Au Gres. Wonder where the main coverage is? I don't have AT&T anymore so I can't verify this so maybe somebody else can. Also it shows some new Verizon LTE coverage in the U.P. west of Marquette along 141, south of 28 and north of 2. It appears that Iron Mountain is now live as well.

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

I think I've figured out a way to minimize my ATT headaches.  My plan has 3 different phones on it, and two of the phones will expire in May.  At that point, I can sell my phone on Gazelle dot com (currently for $325!)  and help pay for the early termination feel I'll get hit with from ATT.  At that point....Verizon, here I come!  (or maybe one of the prepaid services, provided the network coverage is adequate).  Do anyone know which networks are used by these prepaid vendors?

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Verizon is launching 4G LTE in Escanaba today.

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

How would you like to be a poor AT&T customer with Edge today in Escanaba? And tied into a two year agreement?

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

I know. I just switched to Verizon but was three months into a new contract from AT&T for upgrading to a Samsung GS3. I am going to get hammered with an ETF but I cannot justify staying with AT&T and paying a $50 monthly data charge for almost two years when the data is virtually unusable north of Bay City. And after looking at their updated coverage map month after month with no new 3G coverage up there I will take the hit.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

Verizon has had LTE in Bay City now since around the late summer/fall of 2012... AT&T's turn, soon? 😐
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.