Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Those two speedtests are horrible. When I'm in Lewiston my browser won't even load to run a speedtest. If AT&T would have truly started upgrading their entire network to HSPA+ 21 when Verizon started rolling out LTE, all of Michigan would be upgraded by now. Sad!

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

I guess there's a reason why most people here in Bay City and the state of Michigan for that matter rely on Verizon Wireless for their cellular needs...

My plan is worth it, though!

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

I see that Verizon in Alpena now has 4G LTE service......I found out by reading it on my laptop in my office....BECAUSE MY PHONE WOULDN'T EVEN OPEN UP A PAGE ON MY BROWSER DUE TO {word filter evasion} EDGE NETWORK IN THE AREA!!!

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

That is really pathetic on ATT's part.  I just don't know what they are thinking.

AT&T had better be laying some high speed cable dang fast in 2013, and converting a lot of towers, or else they will be history up here in the UP.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

I feel for you good folks up there. What sucks is the fact that Verizon has statewide 3G and will have complete 4G LTE coverage next year but looking at their actual coverage map for voice/3G/LTE they have A LOT of non coverage areas. In the U.P. and northeast MI especially there are WAY TOO MANY white areas of no service. AT&T has better coverage in those areas but the data service isn't worth a dodo so it is a tough call which carrier to stay with if phone service is more important than data. What is unbelievable is the fact that there is no Verizon service and very shotty AT&T service in and around Garland Golf Course in Lewiston.  

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Well I had a big go around with AT&T C.S. today regarding wireless service. I gave my dad my old HTC Inspire last month because his older Motorola flip phone was shot. I simply put his 3G SIM into the Inspire, and turned mobile data OFF because he doesn't use it at all. Well today he got his new bill and AT&T added $35 a month on top of his $50+ normal bill and took it upon themselves to reset his account and he lost ALL of his 2000+ rollover minutes. C.S. said that they can't do anything about it and their policy is you MUST have a data plan on a smartphone even if you don't get the phone from AT&T or use mobile data. So basically if someone buys a smartphone on Ebay or is givin a used phone for example, and wants to enjoy all the features and will only use wifi instead of mobile data, AT&T says you can't do that.  And on top of that my ma has the same phone and is paying for a 2GB plan, and this past week AT&T pushed an update that stops you from turning mobile data OFF. When you uncheck mobile data it quickly resets and turns back on. So they load your phone up with bloatware that always wants to update and sync which is a waste YOUR data. [Please keep it courteous]. I'm done!! There are 5 of us that are dropping them and getting Verizon this week. AT&T launched 3G in Detroit in 2006 and yet northeast MI is still on USELESS EDGE??? That shows you what they think of their customers. I don't care if they launched LTE Advanced in Lewiston tomorrow....they are done. Even though I upgraded my phone recently I am going to GLADLY pay the ETF and be done with them!!!!

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

It is because ATT does not own those markets, it is companies like Dobson and one other that owns them. Dobson as a roaming agreement carrier has refused to do anything with their cellular network, dating even as far back as 2002, when data type services started to come about.

Under their agreement with ATT as a roaming carrier, they are only required under FCC rules and regulations to have within reasonable cellular voice coverage. Add to that you have a large area of the U.P. covered by a National forest, the government along with the Indian tribes are not going to put up Cellular towrs to give out seasonal coverage, or coverage to maybe 1-2 percent that are actual ATT customers.

I remember when ATT started the whole GSM/Gait thing. Dobson forever sat on their hands, and had only AMPs radios in 99% of their towers. The other 1% was a mix of AMPS and TDMA, not even SMS was allowed.

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

11 years ago

@gregzoll_1

With all due respect, you are 100% wrong. AT&T does own the northern Michigan market and the upper peninsula of Michigan. They bought Dobson in 2007 and integrated the network in early 2008.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=24030

The fact is that AT&T bought Dobson's systems and have literally upgraded maybe 40% of the coverage footprint to basic 3G. AT&T has simply ignored the rest of the network. For the sake of other readers on this forum, please do more research before you post something to verify your statement is correct.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

@gregzoll_1
Like Tpeltz stated, AT&T does own the network in northern Mi including the U.P. and the fact that there are Indian tribes and National Forests have nothing to do with the network now being two generations behind. Putting up new towers are not necessary, but rather network investment in antenna and hardware upgrades at existing cell sites and the biggest issue is fiber/microwave backhaul which they are far behind in. The big issue with me against AT&T is this.....if you have a voice and texting plan then you should be able to use your SIM card in ANY phone that AT&T has especially if you pay full price for the phone without being clipped for a data plan. A contract is supposed to be an agreement between two parties...not everything 100% in one sides favor. Thats OK, there are five people in my family that AT&T is losing.

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

11 years ago

I agree with Lewyman 100%. 

On a different note, I am heading to Alpena today. I'll do some speed tests around the city on Verizon's 4G LTE and post them here. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.