For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

It has been silent regarding network upgrades across MI. There hasn't even been any LTE expansions north of the current Metro Detroit area Lapeer, St Clair, and Tuscola counties.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

It's August 4th and no 4G at the Lathrop tower. I checked out the new tower in Arnold and the tower up. The panels have been installed and there is a flashing light at the top of the tower but, service is not turned on. I got the No Service message standing right next to the tower.

IMG_0564.JPG

1 Attachment

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

American Ninja:

Very nice pic of that new tower. If you zoom in you can see that it is definately AT&T's equipment  and looks to have 3 panels per sector, 2 with RRU's ( Remote Radio Units). 

Well I do have some news, although the info I have given lately has turned out to be incorrect due to the spending freeze. Ok....from what I have heard there were around 50 sites that received LTE last month across MI. There are over 300 sites scheduled to get LTE this month. Which ones I don't know but all sites in Michigan will not be getting LTE by the end of the year like AT&T stated earlier this year, unfortunately. I would guess the Lathrop site will have LTE sometime this month.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

AT&T just updated their coverage map. They added "HD Voice". I used to be in a good coverage area now it shows no voice coverage at all in my area. This just keeps getting better and better, no 4G from Lathrop tower and now no voice coverage. Smiley Frustrated Unless they're working on upgrading the Lathrop tower to HD voice and 4G?

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

Reply Edited. This new format on AT&T forums stinks!!

Lol. It looks to me like HD Voice coverage is closer to the actual 3G/HSPA+ footprint compared to what the data map is showing, and dependent on what spectrum they are using(850 or 1900). The data coverage map is way off so I hope they fix that soon as well. It also appears they have dropped EDGE coverage from the map. 

Despite my last comment, I really don't expect very much in the way of upgrades this summer. Hopefully I am wrong. 

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

Still nothing in Lathrop or Arnold.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

Well, I still haven't been able to find out why the Lathrop site isn't 3G yet. However, I heard again that AT&T is making a big push to get 300M POPs covered by the end of summer as promised and there will be many sites getting LTE in the next few weeks across MI, and will continue throughout the rest of the year. Target date is 6/30/15 for all sites in Michigan to have LTE. We've heard this before so hopefully AT&T can finally get it done!

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

I drove past the Lathrop tower today and saw some people in the driveway with some trucks and trailer. Hope that means they are working on it.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

Post Edited:

Well, I traveled up to Lewiston this weekend. There is some expanded LTE coverage on I -75 from Piconning up to the 191 mile marker. Also solid LTE on 75 from Gaylord to St Ignace. Drove over to De Tour and the site in Hessel/Cedarville is 3G and has LTE equipment installed on it. The site in De Tour is 3G but only single panel per sector. No LTE equipment. Very shotty coverage along 134 and not much better than Verizon. Mapped the AT&T 3G/LTE and Verizon LTE coverage in those areas on Sensorly. All of the towers in NE lower MI that are still UMTS/3G have not been converted over to fiber Ethernet yet. Very disappointing!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Birch Run has 10x10 band 4 lte running to supplement the 5x5 band 17 carrier. The mall was a madhouse but I was still able to pull approx 25 mbps down on band 4 and around 6 down on band 17. This is good stuff. 

These tests were done on labor day.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.