Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

Still nothing from the Lathrop tower. Im guessing it won't go live until spring now with the ways things have been going.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

American Ninja.

Still no 3G/4G from the Lathrop Tower? With the towers that have broadband panels already installed up top, the weather is no excuse to not have upgraded service on those sites by now.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

Nope not yet. I'm getting 4G but not from the Lathrop 2-3 bars. When I go to the Lathrop tower I get 5 full bars of E. So I dont know what the hold up is.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

Wow....at least you are getting a 4G signal instead of E. AT&T did upgrade a lot of areas in northern MI this past year but fell short of their goal of having statewide HSPA+ by the end of Q4 2013. Here in the Lewiston area, both towers are still 3G/UMTS even though my device shows HSPA PLUS and it is apparent from the slower speeds that the sites are still on T-1 (copper) as well.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

I have no idea where I'm getting a 4G signal from. It's not from the Lathrop tower and I'm too far away from Gladstone. Only way I get the 4G signal is if I put my phone by my window and turn on/off airplane mode. If I don't do that, then I'm on Edge with about 4-5 bars by my window.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

Just got word that AT&T has launched LTE in and around the Cadillac, Mi area.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

I was in the Houghton Lake/Prudenville area this past weekend at a family member's cabin in the woods. Service there is usually nonexistent and dismal at best. I'm lucky if I can get 1-2 bars of EDGE. However, on the way up (Greenwood/Maple Valley Rd.) I noticed a somewhat solid 2 bars of 3G holding a pretty steady connection. Inside the cabin, I even had a bar of 3G when even as recent as this past summer I had never once seen even a flash of 3G. It's kind of interesting to see because my phone will switch from GPRS to EDGE to 3G and back all within a few minutes. EDGE is undoubtedly the most reliable, but it's nice to see that AT&T must be making some network improvements. Otherwise, I would have no logical explanation for the 3G signal! 

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

Wild Banchi

That is awesome. From what I have learned, AT&T is using a single carrier, 5 MHz of 850 (cellular) spectrum for the new 3G deployments in northern MI.  Basically, that means the 3G or 4G signal (depending on your phone ) is propagating out from the tower just about as far as GSM or "E".  I have found that in the "fringe" areas of service in northern MI, my device holds "4G" rather than switching back to "E", like how Verizon's LTE falls back to 3G in these fringe areas. One thing to note also, the signal is getting out better now that the leaves are off the tree's.

For anyone who gets a week to very week 3G/4G signal at home, try a Wilson cellphone craddle booster. I had mine last weekend at my brother n laws cabin between Lewiston and Grayling where I usually get 2 bars of E. This thing boosted the signal to 3 bars of usable "4G" from the tower in Red Oak roughly 4.5-5 miles away. I was able to stream video without it stopping to rebuffer.   

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

Have you heard anything from your source about the Lathrop tower?

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

I will try to find out. They should have fired it up already.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.