For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Check for service outages
tinojr's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, August 3rd, 2016 10:32 PM

Traveling Overseas

I'll be traveling to the UK and Italy.  What can I expect if i do nothing in terms of service while overseas and what do I need to do to ensure I don't have an unexpected amount due when i return? 

Will my data plan work the same?

How are my texted handled?

What about phone calls?

Thanks,

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

Your regular plan does not cover you outside of the US. You will pay international roaming rates for calls, texts and data. You should consider getting an international Passport plan. International rates with or without a plan are here: https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/roaming.html?tab=1

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

You are definitely under some misconceptions. Once you leave the ATT network, you can get hit with some extremely high rates. If you want to avoid that completely, put your phone in airplane mode and turn on wifi. Only use free wifi hotspots while overseas.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

8 years ago

@tinojr as others before me have pointed out, using your AT&T sim card for roaming outside of the USA can be quite expensive. One alternative is to use a local sim card (of UK or Italy where you are traveling) but that will need your device to be unlocked. AT&T will not unlock your device unless the device is out of contract or all installments are paid off - even if you need the device for a short period of time. This is very much unlike some of its other competitors like Verizon or T-Mobile who will gladly unlock their device for internation travel.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.