Check for service outages
J

• 

2 Messages

Friday, June 18th, 2021 7:13 PM

Strange phone call location

I got a phone call (didn't answer) from +1 (619) 731-7137 and the location shown was Fruitdale, CO, Canada. Got another one from 9  +1 (888) 237-XXXX (don't have the last 4 digits), location shown as Blair, AK, Montserrat.  These were just 2 of several I got with similar locations. the first (619) I know is San Diego, CA, not Fruitdale, CO (not to mention Canada). And I saw similar on another phone. What is up with that?

I am using an MVNO that uses AT&T lines, so I am also writing the MVNO. I hope I don't get into an "It's there fault! No, it's their fault!" conversation.

I don't know which category or topic to put this under, it doesn't seem to fit any of the options, so here goes anyway.. Thanks for your insight.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

The caller ID information is being spoofed by the caller. It has nothing to do with the carrier.

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Your answer makes sense. One would think, though, that the spoofer would use a more accurate location. I don't know how that works, would they just make up something off the top of their head? Why not use a real location? Too lazy to bother?

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.