Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
tranquilcorn's profile

• 

1 Message

Fri, Aug 12, 2022 5:51 PM

Service Quality Issues on 5Ge

I have been on AT&T for a little over a year. My device is an LG Velvet (AT&T). I have had consistent issues with the service - but only when I'm connected to 5Ge. I understand it's just AT&T's marketing term for their advanced LTE, but it seems that there is a measurable difference. I've never reached speeds over 20 mbps down in my city, and dropped calls/degraded audio is regular. I just thought AT&T actually sucked that bad. I visited some family in Louisiana and was shocked when I pulled over 70 mbps down and almost 20 mbps up with little latency in a swamp. It was the older LTE network but it was the best service I've ever had. I kept track of my speeds on LTE vs 5Ge and it's pretty consistent with speeds averaging 50 mbps down on LTE (usually faster but in a moving vehicle that's acceptable) and a few times surpassing 20 mbps down on 5Ge. From my house, I measure  -103 dBm and using AT&T's speed test I get 5.4 mbps down and 0.4 mbps up with a ping of 57 ms. The FCC's speedtest is less kind with 0.1 down and failed upload. I am 0.9 miles from the tower. On T-Mobile (work phone), I'm able to reach speeds in excess of 150 mbps down at the same time. Same tower. Is this a deprioritization issue? Faulty equipment? I wouldn't think deprioritization should cause voice issues. I would appreciate any help.

Constructive

Employee

• 

29.4K Messages

2 m مضت

5ge has always been slow for me, speed tests show over 200megs but cant load a webpage, not sure what the deal is

Wiegand

• 

24 Messages

2 m مضت

My 5g network is working well.

surgex

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

2 m مضت

@tranquilcorn Don't expect it to get any better for a few months at least.AT&T in my area has degraded most of towers that at least would provide 4g speeds down to slow crawl of slower than 3g.We have 3 towers,and 2 have been dead for 8 years I know of,and they're so called upgrading them to 5G service but the ETA is like November 30th.The 1 sole tower that does work is pathetic!I hate to say that Verizon is really on these upgrades and providing a solid service.If you can get away from AT&T it may be your best bet for another year at least.That's my plans here in the next few days.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.