Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Check for service outages
C

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, April 6th, 2024 5:40 PM

QCI changes on Premium Plans

Hello,

I signed up for the Unlimited Premium plan with the understanding this plan had higher priority data vs other plans. My area gets congested, and the higher QCI allowed for usable data. Last couple months I've noticed a decrease in performance, with data no longer working around both of my kids schools. I jump onto Reddit to find that AT&T has (without saying anything) changed the QCI of all premium plans.

Can you confirm this change was made? What recourse is AT&T offering here if so? I have 31 months left on my 4 iPhone promos.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

2 months ago

Don't believe rumors started on Reddit

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

2 months ago

Again, don't believe everything you read on Reddit, or Twitter, then leap to assumptions that are incorrect based on paranoia.

This 'turbo feature is not live, nor has it been defined yet. 

At&T has not changed the QCI on the premium plan (or elite). Congestion effects everyone.  If you assumed that having the premium plan would mean you would never experience congestion, you have assumed incorrectly.

Your premium plan is QCI 7. No matter how much data you use, you are still not deprioritized.

'turbo'  is (will be) an add on,  allowing customers to add on priority data for either a limited amount of data or a limited amount of time.  It's not live. I don't even think they figured out what it is quite yet other than giving it a Disney 'Cars' name 

Business plans and FirstNet are QCI 6 

1 Message

2 months ago

I have the higher $55 Business Plan and my bill states QCI8. I cannot use data in congested areas. 

1 Message

2 months ago

formerlyknownas is totally wrong.  AT&T dropped Unlimited Premium to QCI8 a few months ago.  Starting May 2, a $7/mo per line addon will raise it back to QCI7.  Reddit was totally, absolutely accurate!

1 Message

1 month ago

Here is how QCI is meant to work. in a nutshell. QCI is there because priorities are needed for emergency personnel and in times of emergency meaning say a catastrophe hit your area, takes out some local towers but others a little farther away are running. QCI kicks in then so all emergency personnel can communicate off the running towers and this could potentially mean no service for the regular person until things get straightened out. Emergency personnel will ALWAYS have the priority when needed. So paying extra for priority  like Turbo does no good because you will be on QCI7 with ATT's premium plan. You should never have an issue at anytime, barring a local emergency. Any carrier can change QCI at the flip of a switch anytime when needed. Keep in mind Certain QCI's do not guarantee anything. Example QCI of 7 is for applications that require high-quality streaming services say like ATT 4K. and has moderate packet loss. QCI 1 is real-time, its for no delay applications/ voice coms such as voice over LTE (VoLTE). It requires the lowest latency and packet loss rate and has the highest priority in terms of resource allocation, hence why its reserved for serious issues and we as consumers will never see it. So in an catastrophic emergency our QCI 7 ATT plan would get bumbed off and QC1 would kick in if needed. 

ATT is one of the best when it comes to deprioritizing data under normal conditions for those  with lower end plans. ATT isnt as bad as Tmobile and Verizon depriorities makes you'r data useless dropping it to 128kb i believe. So your ATT data would be more usable and doesnt drop as far, I believe below 1.5gbs which is lower end of 3G speeds.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.