DelightfulD's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, March 26th, 2018 8:25 PM

Closed

Phone GPS location not detected

Hi everyone,

The GPS signal in my Samsung Galaxy S9+ is not accurately detected. Often times, my GPS will indicate that my location is, at minimum, several blocks away from where I really am. If I'm driving, it could be up to miles and my GPS does not update itself with each turn I make. For example, I've been inputting directions from my home to work into the GPS everyday just to test it. The GPS will always begin by telling me to turn out of my street or give me some vague direction like "Head North". I live 30+ miles from my work, so it's not a straight shot to get there. When I'm literally pulling up into the parking lot of my work, it will still display whatever directions it originally had before I left my house, such as "Head North". I will periodically check to see if my GPS is updating during my commute and here's one thing I can tell you: I'm not heading north the entire 30+ miles.

Background information:

I can't remember the exact month of when this issue began, but it was for sure no later than October and when I still had an iPhone. At first, I thought it was just an error with Apple Maps so I downloaded Google Maps. This made no difference. I went to the Apple Store and they were resolve the issue. Assuming it was just a glitch in the software, I switched to the Samsung Galaxy S9+ at first opportunity. I've has my Galaxy for two weeks now and the issue is still not fixed after switching to a completely different operating system, so I only assume that this is an issue with the service, not my phones. I recently went to the AT&T store and they gave me a new sim card. I came back into the store an hour later after driving around testing out my GPS and nothing. The workers at the store told me there was nothing else they could do and sent me to a third party store that "they work with", claiming that the workers at this store was authorized to fix my phone and should do it without an issue. I got to the third party store and was instantly told there was nothing they could do and told me to call Samsung. I called Samsung and was told to factory reset my phone, which of course did not fix anything... I'm extremely fraustrated with the entire situation because every "professional" I've turn to has told me they're unable to fix my phone... Well who can? Surely enough, someone has to be able to resolve this issue. I've googled and tried almost every solution that comes up. My sound is on, location in settings is turned on, and calibrate my compass multiple times a day until the compass accuracy is listed as high.

Has anyone also experienced this fraustrating issue? I will be traveling abroad starting at the end of April and will need my GPS to get around so it's essential that this issue is resolved before I leave. I've been a customer of AT&T for almost two decades and the only other option I can think of at this point is to switch providers, which is something I really don't want to do, but will literally be forced to if it does not get fixed. Thank you.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Update: I switched carriers almost a year ago and I have since not had an issue with the GSP.

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I have had this exact same issue for over a year. It has actually gotten worse since the last iOS update. I too have been with AT&T for a very long time, and would hate to have to switch carriers, but it sounds like it may be my only option. Apple also recommended getting a new sim card, so I’ll try that first. Now that you’ve been with a new carrier for quite sometime, has the problem come up again? Or, has it been smooth sailing since?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

You might also try and clearing cache from your mapping app.

If This Were an AT&T problem I would see a flood of similar complaints on this forum as I'm here everyday. This is the only GPS related complaint I have seen other than on the new 5G Samsung.
Only 3 users in 3 years, it's not AT&T.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

@mbeyerclark you need to make sure your location services are working in the phone you actually have to read the pop ups now on iOS and give the app permission to use location services.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

Pardon my ignorance, what pop-ups? Location services is on “always allowed” for Google Maps, Waze, and Apple Maps. The map will work up to a point, and then it gets totally confused. I had this problem with my iPhone 6 and thought getting iPhone X would solve the issue. Apple checked all settings on my phone to make sure everthing is correct. We even wiped my phone clean and started from scratch. This is when they told me I may need a new SIM card. This has been going on for well over a year, it just continues to get worse.

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I have had exactly the same issue. I have a Galazy Note 8.  GPS worked fine for years on my other phones and this one as well. Suddenly, about 2 or 3 months ago I started having problems.  The same issues you have had. I did the same things to correct the issues, first thinking it was a setting on my phone, then removing the app and reinstalling, then used a different app altogether.  Nothing worked, so I got a new phone thinking that had to be the problem. Nope, new phone and same exact GPS issues.  I now know that it is the service and I am so disappointed.  I am a real estate agent and I use my GPS daily and count on it to get me from one appointment to another quickly.  What is upsetting is that it worked absolutely perfectly for years.  AT&T had to change something for this to suddenly be an issue because I live in Arizona and suddenly started having this issue and my son, in Colorado, started having the same problem just a couple of months prior.  He also replaced his iPhone with a brand new phone thinking that was the problem. I pay for the highest plan they have in order to have good service and I am so disappointed. I have been late to appointments, had to pull over and actually read a map (imagine that! lol) in the middle of downtown Phoenix and out in the middle of nowhere as well.  I have no choice but to change to another carrier at this point.  

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I have a S8 plus for about 3 years now. I have never had a problem with my GPS. My phone took a software update last week and the GPS has not worked right since. Does everything mentioned above. I am going to try the sim card trick.

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I have a Galaxy S8 and this has also been happening to me for the past 4 or 5 months regardless of what app I use or map app. It's extremely frustrating and I want to know how to fix this.

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have an s9 and my gps worked flawlessly with the same phone when i was on tmobile.  I switched to at&t and have had nothing but issues like described above with gps.  It is for sure an at&t problem and they dont seem to care.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.