Check for service outages
Mjr346's profile

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

Saturday, December 4th, 2021 1:31 AM

New tower AT&T, but not for customers?

I live in an area that was impacted by a hurricane. After the hurricane, a permanent tower was put up by AT&T a mile from my house, but was told it was only for FirstNet customers!?!

I have cell service with AT&T for 20 years, and even before the storm, the main shopping district of my area has limited AT&T service, as in lost service inside a Walmart. 

New tower, I would hope they would put more bands for AT&T and other MVNOs that use AT&T and not have to rely on towers 5 miles away in a heavily traveled area. Paying customers as well as their agreement for first net.

Curious if anyone has heard of this before, or if more bandwidth would be added to this new tower in Lafourche parish, Louisiana after 3g sunset?

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

I dunno who you were talking to but firstnet runs over the same network you do. The only difference is in the event of an emergency regular customers are deprioritized where as first net isn’t. 

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

Why would they spend 15 million on a new tower to limit the service to a discounted program with maybe 10 out of a thousand customers are first net?

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

Also every Walmart bestbuy. Lowes I lose service and have to connect to their free WiFi 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

2 years ago

Every big box store is like a Faraday cage.  I always lose service..

It is unlikely that AT&T constructed the tower.  Almost all towers are built by 3rd parties.  Tower access is leased to multiple providers. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.