Check for service outages
mrblint's profile

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, January 5th, 2023 3:17 PM

is there a 5G prepaid card that isn't throttled in any way so I could test the AT&T signal at my house?

Is there a prepaid "premier" SIM card option for AT&T that would let me test their signal at my house, without it being throttled in any way or relegated to a lower tier, as might happen with a discount plan? I have a factory-unlocked iPhone 12 Mini with "No SIM restrictions".

I am getting a 1-bar signal from Verizon and T-Mobile and want to see if the AT&T signal is any better. I fear it won't be. The carriers are renting space on the roof of a 4-story building in this small college town, and the building is owned by the college. I'm pretty sure the carriers are giving the campus (and the interstate highway beyond it to the west) the strongest signal, and leaving the east side of town poorly served. If I walk west about 100 yards up the block, I can get a 5G signal there. There are no tall buildings blocking anything, it's all two-story residential, so I think the explanation for this lack of bars on the east side of town is likely to be how the antennas have been aimed.  

ACE - Sage

• 

105.6K Messages

3 months ago

First of all none of these service providers throttle anymore. They use deprioritization.

Any plan with a fixed amount of data, for example AT&T's $30, 5 gig plan or $40, 15 gig plan have that much priority data.

However prepaid is not top priority compared to postpaid.

In order, Priority levels:

Business and firstnet are top of the list.

Then post paid Premium/ELITE plan, postpaid metered plans, Extra for 50 gigs.

Then prepaid unlimited Max for 22 gigs high speed, prepaid metered plans, including the 5 gig, 8 gig, 15 gig, 16 gig, etc

Lower priority: postpaid unlimited starter postpaid unlimited Value Plus, and prepaid unlimited. 

Prepaid unlimited Max actually has 22 GB of priority data and 10 gigabytes of hotspot. That plan is available at Walmart (not on at&t website!) 

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

63.1K Messages

3 months ago

There is no such thing as a 5G SIM card that isn’t throttled. Any data slowdown whether due to reprioritization or throttling is based on the plan, not the SIM card.

ACE - Sage

• 

105.6K Messages

3 months ago

The carriers are renting space on the roof of a 4-story building in this small college town, and the building is owned by the college. I'm pretty sure the carriers are giving the campus (and the interstate highway beyond it to the west) the strongest signal, and leaving the east side of town poorly served. If I walk west about 100 yards up the block, I can get a 5G signal there.

Is it possible that's what happening is service is just going right over your head?  (literally) 

• 

6 Messages

3 months ago

@sandblaster,  I realize that the SIM card doesn't itself have any sort of QOS limitations, tiering, or prioritization; I was wanting to know what I should ask for when I speak with the AT&T sales rep at the brick-and-mortar store.  AT&T refers to an

AT&T SIM for AT&T PREPAID (Phone) devices

https://www.att.com/buy/prepaid-phones/att-prepaid-sim-card-kit-white-prepaid.html

• 

6 Messages

3 months ago

@formerlyknowas

I don't think the signal is aimed too high.  I think the issue is directionality.  When I walk west on my street and get the 5G signal after going about 150 yards, I'm not going uphill.  The street is level.

• 

6 Messages

3 months ago

Also, something I'm not clear about  -- the iPhone settings have the 5G settings under "Cellular Data Options".   Are voice calls over the 5G network treated as data consumption?   Or do voice calls never use 5G but use the LTE or 4G bands?  I never see the LTE icon.

(edited)

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

63.1K Messages

3 months ago

Are voice calls over the 5G network treated as data consumption?

No. Voice calls never count against your data plan even though they are digital and they essentially are data. Just as calls over LTE are done via Voice over LTE, aka VoLTE, calls on 5G are done via VoNR or 'Voice over 5G New Radio'.

ACE - Sage

• 

105.6K Messages

3 months ago

Not what I mean or how it works.  I don't know how close you are to the Tower, or if you are within line of sight of the Tower. And forgive the crude drawing but if you are the little stick figure inside of the red triangle you may not be getting the service you hope for.

• 

6 Messages

3 months ago

I like the drawing :-)   I will try to do the same.  But here's the wordy-version in the meantime...

I drive south on Main St, getting strong signal, 3 bars. After 4 blocks, I turn left onto Elm St. Signal drops immediately to 2 bars. I drive two blocks on Elm and turn left onto Maple St.   Signal immediately drops to 1 bar. These are residential streets with 2-story houses.

So at all times I am far enough away from the antenna that I'm not in that triangular dead zone. The antenna is behind me. I'm never driving closer and closer to it.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

105.6K Messages

3 months ago

@mrblint

LOL... you're being kind because you know I drew it on my smartphone 😂

There are preschoolers everywhere who have questions about my artistic skills. In fact my neighbors grandson is a real wise acre for a 3 year old, he'll set me straight in no time. 🤣

As for your description, the only thing I can think is you are not receiving signal from the antenna You Think You Are, but of course I can't be sure I don't know what this location is. You might want to contact AT&T and talk to their tech department and give them the location. It wouldn't be unusual for a tower at a school not to be maintained on a regular basis. Wind damage is a thing.   And sometimes they purposely aim service to where they think the bulk of their customers are and forget that their customers on the other side of the antenna. Anyway it's worth a try they'll ask for your zip code and maybe a couple of address points. In the end there may not be anything they can do until they get a lot of complaints. So get the gang together at school and have everyone pester AT&T with the same information

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.