Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

• 

9 Messages

Sun, Jan 26, 2020 12:23 AM

INFRASTRUCTURE

Why is it that at&t can spend 5.62 BILLION dollars on advertising, but not make a SINGLE tower 360 degrees omnidirectional so my service doesn't completely (Edited per community guidelines) @ $98/month? The tower I'm referring to is located on North Glenwood Road, 1.5 miles west of Highway 11 on the Big Island of Hawaii. South side of tower I get whopping signal. I live 0.3 miles north of tower and very often have NO SERVICE.🚫 I'm close to dropping at&t and telling my agonizing story on social media. (Remember the Mattel Barbie doll fiasco and the Society of Women Engineers circa 1992)

Responses

Transponder

ACE - Scholar

• 

346 Messages

3 weeks ago

Sorry, not familiar with the Barbie fiasco. Can you refresh our memories?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

9 Messages

Around 1992, Mattel came out with a talking Barbie doll whose phrases included "Math class is hard" (though it most commonly was repeated as "Math is hard".) The Society of Women Engineers went ballistic, and within weeks the doll was pulled from the market. Mind you, this was BEFORE the (commercial) internet existed (though the DARPA.NET was well established.

It's an example of the raw power of grass roots social media against big corporate.
my thoughts

Employee

• 

14K Messages

3 weeks ago

Not sure who owns the tower, but you could look it up....

Most cell towers are owned by others who lease space on their towers....

The top three in the USA....

Company...... Market Cap.... 2015 Annual Revenue... Tower Sites (Owned, Leased, or Managed)

American Tower... $47.95 billion... $4.77 billion... 144,000

Crown Castle......... $30.93 billion... $3.66 billion... 40,000

SBA Communications... $13.86 billion... $1.63 billion... 30,000

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/26/investing/5g-tower-stocks/index.html

the companies that stand to gain the most from 5G's expansion may not necessarily be telecom firms. They might not even be wireless chipmakers like Intel (INTC) and Qualcomm (QCOM), or entertainment companies like Alphabet (GOOGL)-owned YouTube, Netflix (NFLX) and Electronic Arts (EA).

US tower operators Crown Castle (CCI), American Tower (AMT) and SBA Communications (SBAC) are likely to be the big winners in 5G's expansion.

... The tower companies collect steady rental payments from the wireless carriers. Companies like Verizon (VZ) and CNN owner AT&T (T) need to lease space from the tower owners in order to install antennas, small cells and other wireless equipment for their networks.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

9 Messages

The tower is leased and exists on a privately owned 5 acre lot. I was told by the homeowner that a new 30 year lease was just negotiated.