Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thu, May 30, 2019 3:58 PM

Inadequate Network Coverage

AT&T has failed to provide adequate network coverage along the Metro-North New Haven rail line for 10 years running. Every morning and again every evening during peak travel times I'm unable to access data from my iPhone which makes it impossible to load web pages, stream media, access email or use any other function that requires an external connection.

Every time I call to report this ongoing problem, AT&T wants to troubleshoot my phone, but this problem has continued while I've had three different phones. IT'S NOT MY PHONE. IT'S THE INADEQUATE AT&T NETWORK.

This is definitely a network capacity problem as demonstrated by further degradation of service whenever multiple trains are traveling in the same area.

I've used the Mark the Spot mobile app to report areas of poor network coverage, but there's no way to track the locations I've reported or see the results on a coverage map. There's no way to view aggregate data from other customers, and definitely no discernible improvement in service. Wireless coverage map shows 4G LTE coverage in specific locations in Greenwich where I know from first-hand experience there is NO service.

I'm finished waiting for supposed improvements that never make any difference. Your days are numbered. I'm ready to finally leave AT&T for another mobile carrier. I don't expect your competitors to provide flawless service, but it's impossible to image they could be any worse.

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

79.4K Messages

a year ago

10 years! So why didn’t you switch to another carrier. You certainly can’t be using the same phone for 10 years.

Unfortunately no carrier can guarantee coverage everywhere. It is entirely possible that AT&T doesn’t own the rights to enough towers along the route.    Also I don’t think Cellular connection works very well while traveling.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

I considered changing carriers many times, but continued using AT&T because service is available when traveling overseas.

As mentioned in my original post, I've upgraded my phone twice since moving to Connecticut, but continue experiencing the same network connectivity and performance problems.

The bottom line is AT&T does not deliver the service I pay for, and they have failed to make sufficient improvements to their network to do so.

QuarryRye

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

a year ago

There's no single carrier that is guaranteed to provide service ​everywhere. Signal penetration can be affected by to building materials, weather, or the distance from local towers. If AT&T doesn't have the coverage you need, find another carrier who does.

**Disclaimer: I don't work for AT&T, have never worked for AT&T, and have never been compensated by them in any way, shape, or form**
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

a year ago

@willit63 wrote:

I considered changing carriers many times, but continued using AT&T because service is available when traveling overseas.

As mentioned in my original post, I've upgraded my phone twice since moving to Connecticut, but continue experiencing the same network connectivity and performance problems.

The bottom line is AT&T does not deliver the service I pay for, and they have failed to make sufficient improvements to their network to do so.

Now I have to ask...  If you have unlimited data have you hit your 22GB data cap and are getting kicked to the end of the line?  Just asking...

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

79.4K Messages

a year ago

@willit63 wrote:

Who doesn’t?  I’m in north central CT, Granby to be exact.  We have only 2 decent networks here At&t or Verizon.  Both carriers have roaming options and Verizon phones are unlocked after activation if you want to use local SIM cards. 

It’s obviously not a phone issue.  There are better phones, like Pixel has better antenna.  iPhones are solid choice.  If using an android aka Samsung or LG, their antenna are poor.  

So switch.  I know Verizon is expensive, but no/lousy service isn’t worth any amount of money. 

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Get started...

Ask a new question