Pre-order the New Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 & Galaxy Z Fold4 and, for a limited time, get twice the storage and a free case!
S

• 

5 Messages

Fri, Jul 24, 2020 8:39 PM

Device Incompatibility with Network Upgrade

I recently received a notification that my device will no longer work after the network upgrade planned to take effect in Feb 2022. On the informational page it states that any phones not capable of utilizing HD Voice (also known as VoLTE) would not longer be supported. After doing a bit of research, I confirmed that my phone (OnePlus 5) is capable of utilizing VoLTE however AT&T is just preventing my device from being provisioned to do so. Is this because my device is an unlocked device that I didn't purchase through AT&T?

Constructive

Employee

• 

28.7K Messages

2 y前

Correct it needs to be an AT&T branded phone to use volte and WiFi calling 

• 

5 Messages

2 y前

So, because I didn't buy the phone from AT&T they decided that they were going to artificially block my device from using a feature that it can technically use, in order to pressure me into buying a device from them to use said feature (which, I might add, is not a proprietary feature, it's quickly becoming a national standard)? Do we see how grossly un-consumer friendly that is?

mike53

Mentor

• 

85 Messages

2 y前

I want to pay cash for a new flip phone. First My local AT&T store (38133) dose not have a phone. Second, They say they no longer can transfer my info. from my old AT&T flip phone to a new phone? I was told all their equipment for sim card transfers was taken away?

Constructive

Employee

• 

28.7K Messages

2 y前

Blame your manufacturer for refusing to do liscensing as they didn’t feel the need to play nice like other manufacturers 

@lizdance40  🤷‍♂️

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

58.8K Messages

2 y前

@Constructive Not true. There are non ATT branded phones that get VOLTE on ATT. The OnePlus just isn’t one of them.

• 

5 Messages

2 y前

@sandblaster The thing is, the OnePlus 7T and 7 Pro do, and at one point in time my device (the OnePlus 5) did. Those are all non AT&T brand devices. It seems that at some point along the line AT&T decided to either not include, or stop including the older devices. I can find articles as far back as the OnePlus 2 getting VoLTE.

• 

5 Messages

2 y前

Also, I apparently have no idea how to @ someone correctly or reply to a comment lol.

ACE - Sage

• 

98.7K Messages

2 y前

@SchmidlMeThis

The one plus 5 is not VoLTE capable on AT&T.   Oneplus 7 pro and newer with US warranty ARE VoLTE compatible on AT&T. 

As you can see, it is not required you buy an AT&T branded device.  

Newer phones haven't been listed. 

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

98.7K Messages

2 y前

@mike53

SSounds like manure to me.  Flip phones are still requested devices by many, still sold, and you should be able to transfer data yourself if AT&T can't. 

• 

5 Messages

2 y前

@lizdance40 Correct, according to AT&T the OnePlus 5 is not VoLTE capable on the AT&T network.

What I'm trying to say though, is that it appears the only reason for this is because AT&T chose for it not to be, not because it's incapable of doing so. The phone has all of the hardware and software needed to be VoLTE capable, AT&T is just choosing to not let it be on their network. I suspect it's likely because of two reasons. AT&T wants it's users to be forced into purchasing devices directly through them and they have deals with manufacturers to force users to purchase newer versions of their devices in order to continue using their network. It's forced/planned obsolescence imo. Now if my device was actually incapable of utilizing the service due to older hardware then that would be a different story.

But if there's evidence to beat away my cynicism, then by all means let's hear it.

ACE - Sage

• 

98.7K Messages

2 y前

@SchmidlMeThis 

That is a question I asked for years.  But since you DO NOT have to buy from at&t, and can purchase a newer oneplus that will have Volte, its not easily supported claim that at&t just wants us to buy their phones.  
For years that kept me away from Verizon service because I like unlocked phones. 
   For perspective, Apple iphone 5s and older, and older at&t branded androids are also going to be obsolete.  Its not worth at&t’s time to provide the carrier Settings to those phones.   

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.