Check for service outages
Mgomez0910's profile

• 

2 Messages

Monday, January 16th, 2023 8:32 PM

Congested Network or Data throttle?.. very slow network.

For months now I have been dealing with very slow network speeds, <2mbps at times.. Takes forever to load web pages, streaming videos are constantly stuck buffering, it's like I time warped back to 3G.. I have the ATT truly unlimited plan , no data throttle is supposed to occur until 100gb, I average nowhere near that at less then 30gb per bill cycle. The issue occurs even when I have a 5G connection and signal strength of 4 or 5 bars, and does not matter the location it occurs everywhere.

It's not my device as the issue is the same for my wife as well. Even so, I did all troubleshooting from clearing browser cache and so forth. Nothing helps. I've already called att support multiple times , they've preformed network signal refresh,  and that has improved the speed but only for a few hrs then it's back to before. Last call I had , I was support to be having the issue escalated to technical support and was told I would be contacted but nothing... I work in communications and tbh it's very clear from the troubleshooting I've done that the problem is with ATTs network, either I am being throttled despite my plan, or their network is just not capable and facing issue with congestion.. I wpuld really like to resolve this or understand the cause. Im greatly disappointed given the prices I pay, and considering a switch to a more reliable network... 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.1K Messages

1 year ago

The only plan that AT&T had that deprioritized at 100 GB was the elite plan. Elite was replaced with premium. Neither the elite or the Premium plan has any deprioritization threshold as it   was removed over a year ago.

If you are having a problem with data speed at any point, that would be congestion.  Or you are just in a poor service area, which  probably means youre with the wrong service provider.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.1K Messages

1 year ago

FYI there is no such thing with AT&T called a truly unlimited data plan. And if it were truly unlimited it wouldn't have a hundred gig threshold either. The name of your plan is in your online account. If it's the plan you think it is it's name is Elite or premium. If you look in your account and it does not say Elite or premium, but instead says Starter, that's your problem. 

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

I'm on the ATT unlimited premium plan, which correctly stated has no data cap. Least according to the plan details, however I have had more then 1 customer service rep tell me that the plan can be throttled after 100gb.. while this would be an issue of false advertising,  I've cared the less if they were correct or not given I don't even use over 40gb ever. 

Either way, I shouldn't be having any issues with deprioritization as stated,  yet with great singal strength and in good coverage areas, at times I can see my speed suddenly drop to less then 2mbps. This just doesn't seem possible unless ATT is in fact deprioritizating my connection. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.1K Messages

1 year ago

however I have had more then 1 customer service rep tell me that the plan can be throttled after 100gb..

They were wrong. 

Your hotspot is throttled at 50 GB but there is no cap or deprioritization  threshold whatsoever on the unlimited Premium plan.

The Premium plan has the highest priority of all consumer plans the only thing that's higher is business Elite or premium and firstnet.

If you don't have good speeds then the problem is at&t in your area  is the wrong provider. 

Community Support

• 

229.9K Messages

1 year ago

We're here to help you with your network connection,Mgomez0910.

Thank you formerlyknownas for the response.

We know the importance of having a reliable network connection. Please meet me in a direct message so that we can on this together. We will be sending you a message in the DM, please reply back.

We look forward to chatting with you.

Marilyn, AT&T Community Forums

• 

2 Messages

8 months ago

Very slow data speed on my wireless plan no matter where I am located. I have 4 bars 

I have upgraded from starter to the extra plan and was promised by AT&T that I will be guaranteed 50g of high speed data before being throttled if the network is congested. Called multiple times to tech support but no resolution. Still very slow throughout the day. Very upset & thinking about switching to another carrier. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 months ago

@Kenny33144  You should try Premium, just to see if it makes a difference.  If you don't have other discounts, you can get Premium for the Price of Extra with a FAN discount (such as AARP).

I will be guaranteed 50g of high speed data before being throttled

Keep in mind, if everyone on that tower has that plan it's still going to be slow if it is congested, they can't give more than they have.  So you're sharing with all the Extra people. Plus, all the people with Premium (or Elite) get served before you.

Also, sometimes I get better speeds by turning 5G off. So give that a try.

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

8 months ago

Since day one I have set my phone for LTE because 5g is horrible! We have a family plan of 4 lines ranging from Starter to Premium and it makes no difference…slow data across the board with 4 bars. Performance improves only after 10pm when less users are on the network. If I toggle between airplane mode to reset the phone, it does help a little but very short lived before being throttled again….makes me believe AT&T has a network capacity issue! This 8 years plus customer will be looking to switching over to Tmobile. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 months ago

@Kenny33144 Sounds like it's time to explore a new carrier in your area. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.