Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
C

• 

2 Messages

Sat, Mar 20, 2021 4:37 PM

Clarification needed: Prepaid customer - text says 3G goes away February 2022, but starting April 12, 2021 calls are redirected?

Prepaid customer - text says "3G goes away February 2022", but "starting April 12, 2021 calls are redirected"? Does this mean I need to go get a new phone before April 12, 2021 in order to get calls and use voicemail?

Constructive

Employee

• 

24.4K Messages

8 m ago

Yes

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

54.4K Messages

8 m ago

I will disagree with the above. Note the message says calls might get redirected, not that they will get redirected. You still have until Feb 2022 before you must replace your phone. They are just trying to urge those that need new phones to do it sooner. Now, if you do lose voicemail then yes, the only way to restore is to get a supported phone.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

29.2K Messages

8 m ago

To be sure, what model is the phone?

• 

2 Messages

8 m ago

Samsung J737U. I see the J737A is on the list. I thought U stood for "unlocked" (can be used by any provider) and A stood for "only AT&T provider".

I think this is kind of a (Edited per community guidelines) move, and understand the need for planned obsolescence. I haven't had the phone that long and wanted to hold out to get more out it. The discrepancy from U to A is not clear to me.

(edited)

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

29.2K Messages

8 m ago

The U is the unlocked model. There are different bands supported apparently, and the AT&T model has a slightly better camera. I would still be prepared that it may not be supported on AT&T's network in the future. Unfortunately there is no way to support all generations of cell phone service so they have to eventually shut down older ones to make room.

• 

4 Messages

8 m ago

I called AT&T prepaid support just now April 10 (formerly GoPhone support) and was told by an agent to disregard this message, which is causing stress for a lot of ATT users who have also been told that our old phones will not become unusable until Feb of 2022. I was told to disregard this message! Why ATT is doing this to customers, I don't know. Warnings are helpful; sending out inaccurate texts to customers is not. Yes, I know I need to transition to a new phone.

Constructive

Employee

• 

24.4K Messages

8 m ago

They are shutting down 3g services randomly now with a total shutdown in 2022 so it’s not in accurate information. Both towers have shutdown in my town and there is no 3g

• 

4 Messages

8 m ago

Thanks for replying and sharing your experience. ATT customer service did not inquire as to my location, and I'm having to divide my time between two states tending to elderly relatives. That is stressful already, so I'm hoping important calls continue to get through after April 12. It's confusing and stressful when the text says one thing and ATT customer service says another.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.