Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
D

• 

6 Messages

Thu, Nov 26, 2020 3:13 AM

Cell service

How do you get ATT to improve cell coverage? WiFi calling does not result in any improvement. I’ve been an ATT customer for 15 yrs and cell coverage shouldn’t be an issue these days. I don’t live in a low spot there are towers in visual sight and coverage is still terrible. Working from home makes this an issue that is getting worse by the day. Att is no help either 

Responses

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

46.1K Messages

2 months ago

You don’t. If ATT doesn’t provide the service you need where you need it, switch to a carrier that does. Their coverage is fine for me.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

6 Messages

2 months ago

Do t you think ATT should at least try? I am pretty sure that keeping your customer base should be higher on the list of things to do than finding new customers. +15 yrs and never any issues paying my bill but trying to help fix coverage is not an option worth attempting?  Seems like ATT priorities need adjustment. Or maybe they should try to find another investment buy out option like they did with HBO, that seems to worked out great for them. Bankruptcies are the results of this kind of garbage 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.7K Messages

2 months ago

It can take years to add new towers to improve service.  It’s not like they can turn up power to existing towers and have the service skip over things in the way, like trees and buildings.  
Shop for a new carrier.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

46.1K Messages

2 months ago

Try how exactly? You give no indication if your issue is just you or other customers or if the issue is only at your home. If it is just your home, there is simply no way for ATT or any carrier to improve coverage just in your home. ATT’s solution for poor home coverage is WiFi calling. I’ve never had a strong signal in my house but now with WiFi calling, my coverage at home is great. If WiFi calling isn’t an improvement for you, it’s likely due to your internet provider.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.7K Messages

2 months ago

I AT&T has already shut down it’s 2G network and is in the process of shutting down is 3G network, which may already be down in your area.

The problem with that for someone like you is 2G service has a longer range, 3G a slightly shorter range and LTE a much shorter range.  So while it may have been adequate in the past, perhaps it is not any longer.  It’s not like they can move the tower closer to you and I certainly cannot make the LTE reach any further.

So it’s on you to make the change. Start shopping for a new cellular carrier or learn how to use Wi-Fi calling. Wi-Fi calling only works when you are connected to a Internet connection and have turned this feature on in your phones settings. (It is off by default).  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

• 

6 Messages

2 months ago

Lizdance40: Thanks for the input and yes I have tried WiFi calling and it is not any better. I still believe that ATT should attempt to do something to help. There used to be a cell signal booster that they offered but no longer do. I have a hard time understanding why they don’t offer some kind of booster for the home or can install something in the area that would improve more than just my coverage but also improve their other customers around here as well (and no, I don’t mean building a new tower just for me). Like I said before retaining customers should be a priority.

Sandblaster:  My issue is cell phone coverage/signal that is horrible to nonexistent. Not just in my house but also outside my house it isn’t any better. And not just me but about a square mile with me in the center. I think ATT can do something but won’t and it seems like y’all agree, which is why getting another phone provider seems to be the go to suggestion from the thread. I am sure I am not the only person who has noticed that ATT hasn’t commented either. If it was always this bad I would agree that there is probably not much that ATT could do but it has got progressively worse and ATT won’t attempt to try which is the message that I guess I didn’t covey well enough for you. I would assume that after this business plan of taking for granted current customers needs fails they will be asking for a bailout from congress to avoid bankruptcy. 

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

46.1K Messages

2 months ago

I am sure I am not the only person who has noticed that ATT hasn’t commented either.

This is mainly a customer to customer forum, not customer support. The small ATTHelp team rarely replies and almost never on posts like yours. If coverage is bad for a large area, it’s very possible ATT is working to improve it but new cell towers, which is usually what it takes, can literally take years. Have you used the mark the spot app to report the poor coverage? They definitely won’t work to improve poor coverage they don’t know about.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.7K Messages

2 months ago

The AT&T MicroCell is a 3-g device which was discontinued in 2017 and it will not work as AT&T transitions to an LTE network and shuts down its 3-g Network.

The option now is Wi-Fi calling. Wi-Fi calling also requires a home internet connection. The difference is Wi-Fi calling doesn't have the strict requirements of a wired connection.  If you still don't have a good connection then you need to troubleshoot with your internet provider. There has been some discussion on another Thread about ports being open on your modem or router. 

I live in a town that has a lot of hills and trees and signal is frequently blocked. I have had a cell booster in my car for several years. A cell booster only requires electricity.  It's also Universal device that works on any carrier. 

There are boosters that are more powerful that you can purchase to install at home. However if you already have Home Internet and home Wi-Fi you don't need one at home. 

• 

6 Messages

2 months ago

Thanks for the info lizdance40. You have actually given me more help than the multiple ATT employees that I have spoken to. I have tried all options with my internet provider for WiFi calling and was told that I have as good as I am going to get.

Since there are cell phone boosters that you can purchase why wouldn’t ATT at least recommend a type (not a brand) that will help?  I have seen them online and they are priced from cheap to really expensive. I am sure you get what you pay for with them but I couldn’t even get a rep to say what kind I need to help the service. My frustration isn’t just that my signal is horrible and getting worse but it is exponentially worse when they won’t even offer assistance, only a bill for inadequate service. I have 4 phones and pay a little more than $300 a month but can’t talk on the phones? So when I see ATT making investments in trying to gain additional customers and failing to assist current customers it irritates me. Their stock price is reflecting their poor decisions and it doesn’t take an economic genius to see them following JC Penny into the bad management hall of fame

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.7K Messages

2 months ago

AT&T doesn't provide any information on cellular boosters. Our resident expert is @OttoPylot

Otto has done a ton of research and a link to it is in his signature line. 

A good home booster can be in the ball park of $800.   I paid $250 for my car booster. 

The weboost website is the best place to start and get an idea of which type of booster you want to purchase.

There are two different types of boosters for home use.   One  is called a  Yagi/ directional booster which allows you to aim the exterior antenna at a particular Tower.   A regular antenna is not directional and can pick up signal from whichever Towers provide signal to your area. It's a good idea to know whether you have one Tower a long distance away or multiple towers that are just a little bit too far to provide a good signal.

As you might be able to guess a booster antenna on the exterior of your home has to be up high in order to function well. If you're handy you can do a self-install but a lot of people hire the same people who install satellite dishes or TV antenna to do the exterior install and run the cable into your house.  

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13.7K Messages

2 months ago

I was going to respond but I see that @lizdance40 and @sandblaster have pretty much covered it.

Bottom line, use WiFi-C, purchase a cellular booster, or switch carriers.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.7K Messages

2 months ago

Lol @OttoPylot  you aren't getting off that easy! And besides, it's late for me, your shift!  Lol. 

• 

6 Messages

2 months ago

Sorry sandblaster I just saw your reply and I have marked my spot on the map earlier this year. I also found this thread after getting nowhere with ATT hoping for help from somewhere. They definitely know my spot has poor coverage. Hopefully ATT has someone who peruses these threads looking for a ways for their company to improve. Id start with having quality customer service and with only evolving technologies that improve every customers service, not most customers. If a change doesn’t improve everyone’s service then don’t do it. That would make for a great commercial too. Compounding their investment rather than death by a thousand cuts

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13.7K Messages

2 months ago

@DXC1 Unfortunately AT&T Support does not read nor respond to posts here so the suggestion to use Mark My Spot by @sandblaster is about the best we can do. AT&T won't recommend a product that's not theirs so that's why I wrote the Cellular Booster Guide to give folks some info on cellular boosters. The Guide is getting a bit dated now but the basic information is still accurate and sound.

WiFi-C is usually only as good as your home WiFi, all things considered, so maybe a new router would help depending on who your provider is. Who is your provider by the way?

• 

6 Messages

2 months ago

GVEC is my provider. It’s a coop in tx. I will look into what you have on boosters and thanks for the info

Get started...

Ask a new question