Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Check for service outages
H

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, November 24th, 2021 2:28 AM

Cannot receive SMS messages from non-AT&T customers - PREPAID CUSTOMER

Okay so I've been talking to so many tech support people and we aren't making any progress. I need a break from that so I'm seeing if any of y'all have advice or have something similar going on. 

Summary: I am unable to receive text messages from non-AT&T carriers. For example, my friend is a Verizon customer. I can send her an SMS message and she receives it. She responds to my message, but I never receive it. This is true for other contacts who have androids and are not AT&T customers. My mom is an AT&T customer, and I can receive SMS messages from her. This issue started when I ported my number from Verizon to AT&T a few days ago. 

Added complication, I am a prepaid customer. I have come to the conclusion that phone carriers don't like their prepaid customers lol 

Anyway, I've finally learned that the online chat through AT&T cannot help prepaid customers and I've been on the phone with prepaid a few times. But I don't have another phone I can borrow at the moment so when I have to hang up to restart my phone I usually don't hear back.

Does anyone have any advice? Do you have the number to the head of tech support? Or perhaps there's an at home way I can fix this? 

I appreciate any feedback and I also want others to know that this is a problem. 

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

3 years ago

When did you change carriers? 

It sounds like your number Port is not complete.

Call

PAC (Port Activation Center) at 888.898.7685

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

@formerlyknownas Thanks, I’ll give them another call later today.

I changed carriers on Saturday, 11/20/21. I noticed the issue on Sunday (21st) and called them about it that morning. They told me to wait a full 48 hours for the transfer to be completed and then it would all work.

I guess I forgot to follow up with them and went straight to general tech support for help. 

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

An update for anyone who comes back to read this later: I’ve spoken to at least 6 representatives over the week. Latest call today put me in touch with someone in the port activation center. She told me that everything looks good on their end and that there is nothing in their settings stopping me from receiving sms messages from Verizon. 

She put in to have me get a new SIM card for free from my local att store. I’m about to head out there and I’ll update again later to see if that works. 

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

Update: in store they replaced my SIM card. That did not help. I spent over an hour on the phone with the att retail help and they were not able to resolve the issue. Another ticket has been created and I am supposed to hear back from someone in 72 hours. 

All the other forums about this issue never have a resolution so I’ll keep updating this to help people with this in the future hopefully. 

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

3 years ago

🤦🏼‍♀️.  Good grief

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

Update: They closed the first ticket without telling me about it. Issue seems to have gotten worse - now when a person not on AT&T tries to send me ab SMS message it reads as “unable to send” on their end. It is not a problem with their network. 

I did contact Verizon at some point and in their system it says my number is still with them and that AT&T needs to put in the correct account number to complete the port. Every time I bring that up with AT&T they tell me the port was successful and everything is working. 

Another ticket was been opened and I have a contact number for the advanced tech support line. Most of the customer support people I have worked with have been nice, but no one seems willing to escalate this to a higher level to try to get it resolved. I just need someone who knows what they are doing to look at it. I know I am not the first person with this issue. 

I have also filed a complaint with the FCC. Maybe that’ll get someone’s attention. 

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

Did you ever get this resolved? My family member just ported from Verizon to att and is having this exact issue. Everyone they've dealt with has been incompetent and rude. 

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

@Johndoh hey, yeah it did eventually resolve.

I ended up filing a complaint with the FCC on both of them. AT&T was super helpful and got  back to me pretty quickly but the issue was on Verizon's side. 

I asked Verizon to completely cancel my account and that is what ultimately solved it. I'm not sure why that was problem but since my number was ported correctly on AT&T's side, it was Verizon's fault. It was like they were holding my number captive or something. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.