For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Check for service outages
J

• 

7 Messages

Monday, May 16th, 2022 2:05 AM

ATT Discontinued the "Mark the Spot" app for coverage Issues.

We used to be able to use the ATT "Mark the Spot App".  For whatever reason, it was discontinued.  Working with 611 technical support and customer service has not been productive.  Basically, my house had 5 bars until a new 8 story office building was put up about a quarter mile away, which is blocking the tower that used to serve my neighborhood.  Now we get one bar (on a good day) and rely on wi-fi calling service for our connection.  I only need to go a block or two in either direction and the coverage is great.  I've been trying to get help from ATT but have not had any success in either getting them to relocate their antennas or give any hope for another cell tower in the area.  Has anyone figured out how to get actual help from ATT on an issue like this?  Please don't respond if you are just going to defend how great ATT is or make excuses for why they can't justify assisting with a problem like ours.  I'm looking for good suggestions from others that have actually found a way to work with ATT to fix an actual situation like this.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

It was discontinued almost 4 years ago 

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

Also a new cell tower costs in excess of 5 million dollars and 10-15 years from conception to active use. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

2 years ago

I don't think anyone in that other thread said how great AT&T is.  What they did say was AT&T decided to get rid of that app for whatever reason, and that you probably shouldn't expect them to bring it back.

I will add that AT&T rarely makes any decisions regarding placement of towers based upon the input of one (or two, or any small number) individuals.  I will assume that they do coverage surveys using cars or drones or something and may detect your issue.  They may correct it by deploying a new 5G tower.  They may not.  They may have plans in place already.  They may not.  If they do not already have plans in place, I would suggest that it will be many many months before anything happens in that regard.  I think you should realize that it costs them thousands of year in rental per full size tower, plus thousands of dollars in hardware, etc.   The newer 5G short range pole-top towers are obviously cheaper, but don't cover much area.

You could turn on Wi-Fi calling when at home.

You could purchase from AT&T their "Cellular Booster" allowing you (and any very nearby friends, neighbors and bitter enemies) access to the AT&T Cellular Network through your Inernet connection.

ACE - Expert

• 

32.1K Messages

2 years ago

If AT&T is not improving coverage in your neighborhood, and it is only a block or two dead spot as you say, perhaps a signal booster (at your own cost) would take care of it. Otherwise the alternative is switching to a carrier that has the coverage you need.

It would be nice if the app had not been discontinued, or they had given clear reason why, but there was no obligation that they do so. And understandably they are not going to relocate or build another cell tower just because a new building made a small area poor coverage. If you disagree with this and feel you are entitled to them moving everything around for you, then you could try a BBB complaint as that goes to the corporate level. But be prepared they may not give you the answer you want.

(and as always, nothing in my post does anything to say how "great" AT&T is. Just providing a realistic perspective. Not being exactly the answer you want doesn't mean AT&T is being defended).

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

All the expected responses. 

What I need is a response from someone that has figured out how to get someone to actually at att to assist.  Maybe there is a way to tweak the antennas to help with the issues.  I've had a 3G microcell, I use wifi calling.  I shouldn't have to rely on Comcast for the wifi connection that is covering ATTs lack of service due to the issue with the new building and tower. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

2 years ago

Even if the Mark the Spot app was still functional, and even if everyone who was affected posted everyday their location and how they had no service on the app, , it could still take 10 years if AT&T found it financially beneficial to fix your problem.

Based on your description, the most financially reasonable thing for them to do is to let you switch to a different provider

ACE - Expert

• 

32.1K Messages

2 years ago

You've been given your options, including a final ditch effort to see if AT&T considers your area worth enough to invest millions in another tower (if the area even has everything it needs for allowance of another tower). You have your options.

Continue using WiFi calling.

Invest in a cell signal booster for your home.

File a BBB complaint to get an answer (even if not the one you wanted) from corporate.

Switch carriers to one that has the coverage you desire.

And of course, recycle the 3G microcell if you haven't done so already. With the 3G shutdown it is an outdated device.

(edited)

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

Don’t mess with the BBB. File complaints with the FCC and the FTC. FTC is for their poor customer service and the lack of resolution. The FCC because anytime a telecommunications company (Edited per community guidelines) at their job it is a joy to make their people jump through hoops. 

also in the past I have gotten AT&T attention by filing complaints. 

regarding the now defunct “Mark the Spot” I had excellent luck over the years fixing cell site issues. It is another example of them not caring to fix their issues even though you went out of your way to let them know. 

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.