Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Check for service outages
TinyMAG's profile

• 

2 Messages

Friday, December 16th, 2022 5:00 AM

5G Service Is Unusable...

Within the last month I upgraded my S9 to an S22 and switched to the Basic Unlimited service plan. At first things were okay but periodically while browsing the internet I would hit a wall. For an hour or two pages would take 5+ seconds to even react to clicking on links. Then another few seconds attempting to load the next pages. I realized this only happened when not connected to WiFi. Despite having full bars and 5G/5G+, data across all apps on my device would be unacceptably slow. Fast forward to the last few days and the issues have become entirely frustrating. Any time of day, any amount of signal bars - if 5G is displayed in the top right; webpages won't load, apps like Pandora switch to Offline, speed test struggle to reach even 800kb/s... I called 611 today and was able to get my speeds up to 4.1mb/s for about 45 minutes. Still pretty garbage speeds, considering the price and advertised claims about what 5G should be capable of... but a good deal more functional than 800kb... much to my extreme frustration - I have zero issues with any data usage when the

phone switches to 4G/4G lte. But I can't seem to find to stop the device from trying to switch to 5G... even though the connection on 5G is utterly unusable.

I doubt it is related, but I have attached a screenshot of a strange message I keep getting from Google whenever the data speeds seem to hit their lowest.

Has anyone else found a fix for this issue? Is there a way to stop my device from switching to 5G? I'm honestly about to switch back to my S9 if that's what it takes to stay out of this 5G data dumpster fire...

ACE - Sage

• 

117.8K Messages

1 year ago

Your problem is you live in a congested area and you switch to a service plan, as you called it, the basic unlimited plan, which always deprioritizes your service. Spend another $10 and upgrade your plan to the extra plan and your congestion problem will go away until after you hit 50 GB of data use

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

The area I am currently in has a population under 10,000

You seem very confident that they are ALWAYS depriortizing data to my service type... do have the information sources to back up such a claim?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.8K Messages

1 year ago

@TinyMAG

You seem very confident that they are ALWAYS depriortizing data to my service type... do have the information sources to back up such a claim?

Yeah, it's in the description of your plan.  

The Premium plan does not deprioritize, always has priority data and is only second to business plans and third to firstnet. The extra plan permits 50 GB of priority data. 

The starter plan is always deprioritized.

As in you have no priority data. 

If it's a 5G problem, then switching to the extra plan will not make a difference in speed, but it will mean that you don't get disconnected and have no data connection in areas where data connection is available. 

The unlimited your way plan offers you three tiers and you can change between them 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.