Check for service outages
Nubcat01's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, August 12th, 2021 10:02 PM

5G Phone/Plan Capabilities

So, my iPhone 12 Pro is 5G capable, I have a 5G unlimited plan.

My wife has a iPhone 12 Pro Max, also is 5G capable on the same 5G unlimited plan.

My phone signal (on cellular) works in most places, my wife can be standing beside me and her phone will have little or no coverage. I thought maybe there was an issue with her phone's antenna, we took it to Apple and Apple advised that the hardware is working as it should and this is a network issue.

When we traveled to the *one* place in Miami that had AT&T 5G service, my phone displayed 5G and was a little faster than usual, however my wife's phone never displayed 5G, it was very slow and showed 4G, not even LTE. All of our device settings are the same, all updated with current carrier settings, and using the same iOS, etc.  

I log onto the AT&T support page and check my wife's phone and it's 5G capabilities, it says that either her phone or the plan is not 5G capable, which to this, neither are tru. I cannot get assistance from AT&T in any way. Online chat hasn't worked in a while and call times are too long.

Has anyone experienced anything like this with their unlimited family plans? 

ACE - Sage

• 

115.9K Messages

3 years ago

All else being equal, I would say there has to be a problem with the phone. Before you take it to Apple for a warranty replacement have the SIM card replaced first, and then contact AT&T to make sure her line is provisioned correctly.

If there is no improvement then you definitely have a defective phone. Apple does all warranty replacements.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to answer, never really thought about the sim being an issue. I Just took the sim out of my phone and put it into my wife’s phone at our home. The signal dropped to 4G right away with a few instances of no service before flopping back to 4G, it’s always a solid LTE in our home for me. I’m not expert in things related to SIM cards, so I’ll inspect this furthers. I took it to Apple previously, don’t know if you saw that I mentioned it in my post. They ran a complete diagnostics test, found no issues. If I can ever get ahold of someone at AT&T without needing to go to a store, I’ll inquire about a replacement SIM, as long as they don’t leave her without a working phone for several days (as they did when we joined AT&T a few years ago). 

Thanks again 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.