Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
newsjunkie's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Friday, September 16th, 2016 2:08 PM

Switching to GoPhone Multi-Line acount

My wife and I both have separate GoPhone accounts with synced renewal dates.  We are both on the $45 plan. We are about 3 weeks from next 30-day renewal date.

I want to switch to the new GoPhone Multi-Line account, specifically bringing her GoPhone account over to mine, to save $5 per month on that 2nd account.

Yesterday, I went to corporate AT&T store and asked WHEN would be the best time to do this?  Now or within a day or two of the monthly renewal?  I'm afraid I will have to pay ANOTHER $45 when I import her acccount her to my account to make it a Multi-User account.  

The in-store rep was friendly but really could not answer my question.  Every time he tried to search for the answer on his AT&T slate, it gave him an error message saying he didn't have "permission for that channel" or something.  I had as much information as he did on my phone, by calling up AT&T public PR material.

Has anyone done this yet?   I'm not talking about creating a new account with a new phone number, but instead switching two or more current GoPhone accounts into one Multi-Line acocunt.

Current customers:
1. Choose a line to be the Account Owner.
2. Account Owner logs in to myAT&T.
3. Select Multi-Line Discount.
4. Follow the prompts to invite member lines.

So, I've done that.

Then, I see this:

IMPORTANT: Please read the important terms below before you enroll in a Multi-Line Account.

• As the Account Owner, I am solely responsible for managing the Multi-Line Account (“Account”) and paying the monthly plan charges for all Account lines.
  • Upon adding a Member line, the Member’s renewal date will be aligned with my renewal date. Full monthly payment is due immediately to activate the Member’s service. A pro-rated credit will be issued to my Account for the unused days of the plan term for that Member. The high-speed data allowance for the Member’s plan will be pro-rated based on the number of days remaining in the Multi-Line plan term. The high-speed data allowance will also be pro-rated any time I change the monthly rate plan for any line on the Account.
  • For each Multi-Line plan term, full payment is due on all lines or service will be suspended.
  • Only the Account Owner’s line is eligible for the AutoPay discount.

"Upon adding a Member line, the Member’s renewal date will be aligned with my renewal date."  Good.  We are already synced.  I want it to stay that way.

"Full monthly payment is due immediately to activate the Member’s service"?  WHAT?

"A pro-rated credit will be issued to my Account for the unused days of the plan term for that Member."  Good.

Those last two statement are almost contradictory statements.  If they left out that middle sentence it would make sense.  That middle sentence is confusing.

Alll I want to know is will my wife's current credit (about 3 weeks) will be brought over and that our monthly renewal dates will stay synced.  That part about paying FULL MONTHLY PAYMENT IMMEDIATELY is what concerns me.  I paid just a week ago for her monthly bill.  Now I have to pay again?  Then pay yet again in 3 weeks?  

If THAT is true, then I will wait until the day before our payments are due and then go through the process then, if I have to pay for a full month's service charge.

I know how it SHOULD work, I just want confirmation AT&T's obtuse wording is misleading.

It's really poorly written and confusing on AT&T's part.  After much discussion, the in-store AT&T rep said I better wait until near the end of the billing cycle so I don't have to pay the extra $45 for nothing.  He was afraid they were just going to stick me for another $45 for no reason.

Of course, he also said my wife would have to come back with me to the store to do this, when I see clearly it can be done within the AT&T app...

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks, newsjunkie, for chiming in. I had pulled two accounts to multi-line (with me being the owner--so three accounts) early in December, if I recall. I just took it on faith (based on what the terms said) that the money would be pro-rated to my account; and, honestly, never bothered to check. I don't think any of the phones were at the end of a cycle. One thing that differed for my experience, is that the two other accounts had money ($70. and $95. ) in them. I called (just a week or so ago) and asked if that money couldn't be placed into my (owner) account. The CSR (Melisa?) did this for me, including a nod to her supervisor because she said that $70. was the limit for such a transaction. While still on the phone, we checked the new balances, and that each account was still active. Before this, I had been managing the three AT&T lines, plus a $30./100min/5GB T-Mobile line. Now, because the cost will be the same, I am moving the T-Mobile line to GoPhone. There is no way the dates will sync. I had wondered if that line needed a 30 day vestment into the GoPhone system before I could add it to the account. Apparently, it does not, but I will wait out most of the thirty days before pulling it in to the multi-line account. 

FWIW, I've never had anything but an exemplary experience with GoPhone customer service when calling. It's only been a few times over the years (5?), but I found each person with whom I spoke to be both knowledgeable and able to do whatever needed to be done. I've gone to AT&T corporate stores on occasion. For a sim swap, no problems; for troubleshooting, not too much knowledge about GoPhone.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Hmmm...  then I may call customer service and inquire again about the $10.  The AT&T in-store rep admitted he wasn't as well versed on GoPhone stuff, and actually called GoPhone customer support to have them walk him through the switch-over.  When I asked about the $10, the GoPhone rep on the speakerphone said no.  She said it could be used to buy ring tones or such, but not actually transferred to another account.  Since "my" account is now paying for my wife's phone bill and my phone bill, the $10 was stranded somewhere.  But thank you for telling me it is indeed possible.  

_____

Yes, ever since I switched to GoPhone I have raved about them to many other people and have won them lots of customers among my friends and even in cell phone related forums.  In one online forum some people ask if I work for GoPhone!

The high LTE speeds and low ping speeds (low lag) are phenomenal where I live and as GoPhone is really just prepaid AT&T, it's technically better than any MVNO -- even AT&T's own Cricket and especially Straight Talk.  I switched from Straight Talk to GoPhone 3 years ago and have never looked back.  

Customer service is also great, either on the phone or actually going into any AT&T store.  I didn't feel comfortable doing the multi-line switch myself, and I knew if I went to a corporate AT&T store they would not give up until I was satisified.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

7 years ago

It sounds like you have a great situation.  Coverage is minimal where I live (house more so than town), and we have no AT&T stores of any kind here. We actually don't use the phones that much unless traveling. 

As far as the money transfer,  I just said that now that I'm the owner,  can't the funds be transferred? Sign into your wife's account.  You should see the $10. balance. You will have to give the CSR the login password/pin. I thought that I would have to get my husband and son to give permission over the phone-or even have to call from their numbers,  but nothing like that was needed.  Good luck. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

@ATTCares

You mentioned: For example: An individual rate plan, which covers from November 5 – December 4, joins a Multi-Line on November 15, or 10 days into the rate plan cycle. In this scenario, the account owner will receive a credit for 20 unused days of service.

I just want to know WHEN the account owner will receive the unused credit?

thanks

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

Can anybody help me ??

Associated Member

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

So when it has been 30 days , and the prorated amount still hasn't been credited, and the customer service agrnts can't understand, then what do I do? I work in the retention Dept at AT&T and on my lunch breaks, have spent the whole hour on the phone with customer service and they aren't even aware of a credit I'm owed. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Do you have to buy a phone from AT&T or can you bring your own phone for the multi line discount? We want to switch from straight talk but we just bought new phones and can't buy new phones again just for this 

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

6 years ago

They do not have to be purchased from Att but must be Att compatible. Our 4 major phones on 4-multi line acct are not Att phones.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.