Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
L

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, May 5th, 2021 3:25 PM

Switched sim to another phone, now no service

I have a prepaid account that was working fine on my iPhone. I tried moving the sim to a Moto E4 that I have. It momentarily show ATT service, then got a text message from ATT saying phone is not compatible, visit an ATT store.  I switched the sim back to my iPhone, and get ATT symbol but have no phone, text or data service. Trying to make a call gets a voice message that call not allowed. I think something needs to be reset on the account. How can I get it working again? Thank you!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

Like the text said, visit an ATT store or call. Your account needs to be updated with the imei of the iPhone. That is not something you can do yourself. It either happens automatically or you need an ATT person to do it.

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

But I put the sim back in the original working phone so it should work again. I entered the imei of the original phone, and it says imei  already registered. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

Ok, perhaps it’s not the imei updating, it may be something else. Whatever it is, it’s not something you can fix yourself. 

ACE - Scholar

• 

981 Messages

3 years ago

From what I've read once you have your account suspended you have to call ATT.  Just putting it into a valid phone doesn't fix it.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

3 years ago

Yes, what @kevink  wrote. 

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

So I called 611, as this is the phone directed me to when I went to make a call, since it can't make any calls.  After 33 minutes on hold, the person asks all my info but can't find the account.  Then ask if it's prepaid, I say Yes.  She says, Oh, there's a different number you need to call, 800-901-9878.  Of course, the phone won't allow me to call that number, so I had to go borrow someone else's phone to call.  However, I got a live person within 5 minutes and he confirmed the line was suspended due to the incompatible phone and he had it re-instated in 3 minutes.  So he gets a perfect 10, ATT gets a 0 for having websites with old info, non-existing links, and not setting their systems up to distinguish between prepaid and postpaid. I spent a couple hours searching their websites, both for a solution and some indication of what was going on.  If they want to automate everything and make it self service, they need it to be comprehensive and user friendly, not run you around in circles!

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

611 works for prepaid too. Why you got a postpaid agent, I don’t know but you could have simply asked them to transfer you. 

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

They said pre-paid account services is at a different phone number you have to call, here it is, no offer to transfer.  It’s ok, gives me a good idea  of what to expect from CS. Maybe my other 4 lines will stay at T-Mobile rather than go back to ATT.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

3 years ago

611 from your prepaid phones gets you prepaid support. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.