Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
naumanjan's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, October 23rd, 2011 6:41 PM

Re: Phone and GoPhone

I just happen to have bought a Nokia C3 through ebay auction, being my first transaction, was not careful enough to notice that the set is locked to AT&T go phone.

I have received the set here in Pakistan with an {Personal content removed for your safety}. What do i need to do to get it unlocked.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

346 Messages

12 years ago

@naumanjan wrote:

Since the set is here with me in Pakistan, I cannot possibly avail at&t service and then have the phone unlocked.

Web sites offfering to provide unlock code are charging a fee of around $34 for at&t locked phones, why not then at&t itself charge a nominal fee and give the unlock code instead of allowing these sites who are fleecing the customers. 

Again, this is already a free service from AT&T for customers in the US. As for why they don't offer the service themselves for people overseas who bought AT&T handsets, it's more hassle than it's worth. There are already plenty of people who buy AT&T phones in bulk, ship them overseas, unlock them and resell them. While the websites offering unlock are pretty expensive, you can get phones unlocked in shops in China and other parts of Asia for $5 or so.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

It's unlikely that at&t will unlock it for you - generally you need to be an active customer for at least six months before they will provide the subsidy unlock code.

You can try a local cell phone repair store or see if there are solutions available on-line.  Reselling the phone or sending it to a friend/family member in the US to use with their account (and then they can request the subsidy unlock code from at&t) are other possibilities.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Well I am on venture and pursuit for that happy medium,  will there be any chance at&t charge a nominal fee for passing on the subsidy unlock code. 

Master

• 

5.1K Messages

12 years ago

@naumanjan wrote:

Well I am on venture and pursuit for that happy medium,  will there be any chance at&t charge a nominal fee for passing on the subsidy unlock code. 

I doubt AT&T will ever charge a fee to unlock a customers device. As hme83 said, this is something that AT&T already does, however, you need to have service with AT&T for a certain amount of time before they will give you the code to unlock your phone.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Since the set is here with me in Pakistan, I cannot possibly avail at&t service and then have the phone unlocked.

Web sites offfering to provide unlock code are charging a fee of around $34 for at&t locked phones, why not then at&t itself charge a nominal fee and give the unlock code instead of allowing these sites who are fleecing the customers. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.