Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sun, Mar 18, 2018 9:22 PM

Prepaid Charge Refund

I was on a 30-day prepaid plan and had enrolled in autopay.  Recently, I cancelled service with ATT a couple days before the end of the current bill cycle, and ported my number to another carrier.  During the port-over process, I was told over the phone by the ATT representative that the autopay charge for the next billing cycle would not be charged, but this did not happen.  I called ATT at 800.901.9878 and was told ATT will not issue a refund.

To be clear, I am NOT asking about a refund for a month that was only partially used; I understand that is not allowed.  My service end date was March 15th, and I cancelled service with ATT on March 14th.  The final charge to my bank account was for the billing cycle from March 16th thru April 14th (30 days).  That is the charge I want to be refunded.  How can I accomplish this??

Responses

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

40.2K Messages

2 years ago

The only way to get a refund is through customer support and the only way to contact customer support is to call. Since you have already been told no, sorry to say, you probably won’t get the refund. Your autopay probably charged on the 15th. It is normal for autopay to charge the day before your plan renews so that there is no service disruption. You may have initiated the number port on the 14th but sounds like it did not complete until the 15th after your auto renewal kicked in. Once funds are deposited to an account, there are no refunds. Your account probably closed with a credit. You should have cancelled autopay before the 15th.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Exactly my point.  I expressly asked the ATT customer service rep to cancel AutoPay and to assure me that the charge would not be applied.  This was BEFORE the end of the billing period, and BEFORE the AutoPay was charged to my bank.

Sandblaster said: "You should have cancelled autopay before the 15th." 

I did cancel autopay before the 15th.  I cancelled it on the 14th, during which time I was told by the ATT rep that Autopay was cancelled and was assured that I would not be charged.  Yet, here we are.  How can I get this refunded?

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

40.2K Messages

2 years ago

Again, the only way is through customer support and the only way to contact customer support is to call. If you are lucky, ATTCares will respond here but there is no guarantee. I hope you know you could have cancelled autopay yourself online rather than depending on a customer support rep. Unfortunately, your complaint of customer support not doing what they promised is all too common.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Final Update:  I found time to go in person to my local AT&T store, the same one where I had initially set up my prepaid service.  I explained the situation - - that I had cancelled BEFORE the end of the current 30 day billing period, and thus was deserving of a refund for the subsequent month's charge - - and a manager was kindly able to give a refund.  Yay!!!

Moral of the story? If you know that you are about to switch carriers, be sure to cancel autopay via the web portal many days in advance in order to avoid being charged for the next month.  Don't rely on someone on the phone to do it for you.  Most of the call center employees are very kind people, and additionally many of those are also actually competent at their jobs.  But still, maintain a healthy skepticism of anything told to you over the phone by a customer service rep.  Finally, be nice: you are less likely to get help if you take your frustration out on someone who does not deserve it.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

40.2K Messages

2 years ago

@dzy325195 wrote:

Final Update:  I found time to go in person to my local AT&T store, the same one where I had initially set up my prepaid service.  I explained the situation - - that I had cancelled BEFORE the end of the current 30 day billing period, and thus was deserving of a refund for the subsequent month's charge - - and a manager was kindly able to give a refund.  Yay!!!

Moral of the story? If you know that you are about to switch carriers, be sure to cancel autopay via the web portal many days in advance in order to avoid being charged for the next month.  Don't rely on someone on the phone to do it for you.  Most of the call center employees are very kind people, and additionally many of those are also actually competent at their jobs.  But still, maintain a healthy skepticism of anything told to you over the phone by a customer service rep.  Finally, be nice: you are less likely to get help if you take your frustration out on someone who does not deserve it.

Excellent advice! Glad everything worked out for you.

Get started...

Ask a new question