Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
B

• 

1 Message

Saturday, February 15th, 2020 6:29 PM

locked vs unlocked phones

I just went to Walmart in Saddle Brook, NJ to purchase a AT&T prepaid AT&T Radiant core smartphone. After it took the guy about twenty minutes to find it he tells me that because it is a locked phone it can not be used in Puerto Rico. I was buying it for my mom (cause she stuck on prepaid) who is visiting but will be taking it back with her. After I left I realized that a locked phone means that it's locked to the carrier, hence AT&T in this case. I picked it because I know there is AT&T in Puerto Rico, one of only three carriers there. Then I realized that he said something about international, Dude Puerto Rico is domestic. So am I correct to say that I can buy the phone activate it and my mom will be able to use it with no problems. Please confirm or correct my thought process. Thank you!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

4 years ago

You are correct. The salesman is apparently Clueless and does not realize that Puerto Rico is part of the United States.
AT&T works in Puerto Rico and is domestic coverage. A locked AT&T phone will work just as well there as it does here.

AT&T has sold all of its Caribbean service to Liberty, but that deal has not yet closed and there may remain a roaming agreement between the two carriers after the sale.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.