Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

• 

1 Message

Sat, Feb 15, 2020 6:29 PM

locked vs unlocked phones

I just went to Walmart in Saddle Brook, NJ to purchase a AT&T prepaid AT&T Radiant core smartphone. After it took the guy about twenty minutes to find it he tells me that because it is a locked phone it can not be used in Puerto Rico. I was buying it for my mom (cause she stuck on prepaid) who is visiting but will be taking it back with her. After I left I realized that a locked phone means that it's locked to the carrier, hence AT&T in this case. I picked it because I know there is AT&T in Puerto Rico, one of only three carriers there. Then I realized that he said something about international, Dude Puerto Rico is domestic. So am I correct to say that I can buy the phone activate it and my mom will be able to use it with no problems. Please confirm or correct my thought process. Thank you!

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.6K Messages

a month ago

You are correct. The salesman is apparently Clueless and does not realize that Puerto Rico is part of the United States.
AT&T works in Puerto Rico and is domestic coverage. A locked AT&T phone will work just as well there as it does here.

AT&T has sold all of its Caribbean service to Liberty, but that deal has not yet closed and there may remain a roaming agreement between the two carriers after the sale.

(edited)

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…