Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
rigormortis's profile

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

Tuesday, June 17th, 2014 5:44 AM

iPad 3 / ipad mini go plan plans

why would anyone in their right mind want to waste $9.99 for the sim kit to get prepaid go phone data

for their ipad (ipad 3  / ipad mini only ), when they can just get the ipad data sim card for free from any at&t store ??? the regular ipad data sim card will work on any ipad 1,2,3,4 or air. 

is the $9.99 charge for sim card a way to charge people a fee who do not want to refill their accounts with credit cards ?

at&t has had prepaid wireless service with no contract since the introduction of the ipad 1. i do not understand why they suddenly have this new go phone service which is limited to only ipad 3 and ipad mini. and they want to charge you for a sim

before the introduction of gophone ipad sim, it was impossible to activate a go phone sim in an ipad, a fact i found out for myself. 

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

Hi rigormortis, 

Some of our partner stores, such as Best Buy, Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, etc sell SIM cards seperately from traditional plans. They choose what they want to charge for their product as they are not part of AT&T (This is why sometimes you will see one of these locations have deeply discounted devices opposed to the AT&T Stores) 

Most AT&T Company Retail stores are now selling the SIM kits for tablets for $15, but it also comes in the box with a $15 refill card (effectively free).

These kits have adapters in them for all sizes of SIM and will work with any iPad device. I believe that person you spoke to or the package you read was mis-informed/mis-typed. These sims are usually marked with a green "thumbprint" meaning they are set to activate once put into a tablet device. 

Hope thie helps!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.