Get our NEW Unlimited MAX plan with 25GB hotspot data, 5G access, 100GB cloud storage, and more for $55/mo.!
mimechanic21's profile

• 

12 Messages

Wednesday, April 5th, 2023 11:24 AM

I'm looking for a couple answers about my prepaid bill

I have a couple questions. I was looking at my phone record history and I noticed some data has been being used at times when I wasn't using my phone and I was wondering why my phone was using data when I've been connected to Wi-Fi the whole time.

I aslo see something on my bill as a incoming text message under number 98801259 but I received nothing on my phone anywhere around those times. What is this 98801259 number and why does it show up as a incoming text message when I didn't receive one?

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

1 year ago

Data reporting is not real-time. The time stamps on your data usage is when the data usage was reported, not when it was actually used. Actual usage could be from hours to days earlier. Additionally, a phone still could use cellular data even when on WiFi. That all depends on your phone settings. Sorry, can’t help you on the second question other than that number must be a short code, it’s not a phone number.

• 

12 Messages

1 year ago

Thank you for your reply. I was under the impression that if your connected to wifi then your cellular data wasn't being used but I was wrong. 

The short code I searched for online and couldn't find anything on it and that's what's got me in trouble with the wife lol. She went through my bill and there was things on there I couldn't answer with no record of them on my phone. That code was one of them. I guess she's just going to have to get over it or not lol.

Thanks again.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

1 year ago

Thank you for your reply. I was under the impression that if your connected to wifi then your cellular data wasn't being used but I was wrong. 

You are misunderstanding the reply. The previous reply was that data is not reported in real time..

Think of it like writing a check or using your debit card. That transaction may appear as pending when you use a debit card, and the check won't register a withdrawal at all until the person you gave the check to deposits it and it clears your bank.

Until the money is taken out of your bank it is not posted on your physical monthly bank statement it only appears in your transaction register online. 

Data is reported in a similar manner. Your phone goes around connecting to towers all day long and perhaps moving between different towers, or maybe it's only connected to a tower near where you work all day long.

At the end of the day you go home and you connect to your home Wi-Fi. At this time all the applications that have been using mobile data are disconnecting from data, and using home Wi-Fi.   Now Att the towers start reporting all of the data that has been used all day long while you, and everyone else were at work, or driving about socializing or doing whatever activities you chose to do is

Some of the data will be reported in short bursts, this happens when you are connecting and disconnecting from Wi-Fi or moving between towers as you travel along. This data is going to be reported back onto your account during the day . 

Some of this data will be reported in larger batches, possibly every 3 hours which is why you may see data reported it 9:00 p.m. and midnight and 3:00 a.m. . That data was not used at that time. It was used hours before.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.