Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
Kogitsune's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, November 30th, 2017 2:26 AM

How do I transfer from AT&T to Straight Talk

I hate how I'm paying 101.50 for a single person (Myself) to use 3 gigs of data, with unlimited talk and text only to realize that I hardly even get halfway when using my data; barely ever call anybody, and just send the occasional text message.

I wanted to help my mom out with bills, so I decided to take up on my own phone bill and we transferred it to me back in October of this year. At first, my bill was 84 and some change and I was at first alright with that. I work a job that pays 7.50 an hour and I'm trying to save money so I can move out. I get paid bi-weekly, but even then I make usually enough to scrape by for 2 weeks. When my bill jumped up by about 20$ i just shook my head. Why would I pay an insane amount of money, for something I barely even use? I had a few questions that I had concerning if I could transfer and if so how.

1- This isn't my original phone I had to begin with for the plan I had when my mom transferred my own account into my name. Can I still transfer over? (I went from a G5 Vigor to a S7.)

2 - Is my phone compatible to transfer or bring over to Straight Talk. (Stated above)

3- Do I have to pay off what I still owe on the phone? Or my current phone bill for this month before I can transfer over?
(I don't want to do either, but if its the latter of the two then I guess I can live. I went up to the AT&T store in Warner Robins, GA and one of the ladies up at the store told me that i had to pay off my phone entirely before I could do that, but I'm seeing in other places that I don't have to. It confuses me too stinking much and all I want are straight answers.) 

4- I don't honestly know if I'm signed into a contract with AT&T because I was transferred over. Am I? Or am I not? Do i have to physically sign something that states that "Yes, I am bound to you guys until further notice" Or did I misread when getting transferred over that i was signing a contract with the devil??? If so, how do i get out of this. 

Sorry if this is a long post. I just need help. My ship is taking on more water than what i can bail out of it. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Kogitsune wrote:

I - This isn't my original phone I had to begin with for the plan I had when my mom transferred my own account into my name. Can I still transfer over? (I went from a G5 Vigor to a S7.) Yes. It does not matter what phone you are using.

2 - Is my phone compatible to transfer or bring over to Straight Talk. (Stated above) Yes. You will still be using ATT’s network.

3- Do I have to pay off what I still owe on the phone? Or my current phone bill for this month before I can transfer over? Yes. If you have already gotten this month’s bill, you may need to pay it before Straight Talk can transfer it. You do not need to pay off your phone before transferring. You will get a final bill from ATT with the balance of what you owe on the phone. You should transfer a day or two before the end of your bill cycle so that you don’t get charged another month.
(I don't want to do either, but if its the latter of the two then I guess I can live. I went up to the AT&T store in Warner Robins, GA and one of the ladies up at the store told me that i had to pay off my phone entirely before I could do that, but I'm seeing in other places that I don't have to. It confuses me too stinking much and all I want are straight answers.) 

4- I don't honestly know if I'm signed into a contract with AT&T because I was transferred over. Am I? Or am I not? Do i have to physically sign something that states that "Yes, I am bound to you guys until further notice" Or did I misread when getting transferred over that i was signing a contract with the devil??? If so, how do i get out of this. If you are paying for a phone in monthly installments, you are not on a contract. Your only obligation is to pay what is owed on the phone. There are no other termination fees.

Sorry if this is a long post. I just need help. My ship is taking on more water than what i can bail out of it. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.