Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
stephen2615's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, January 17th, 2017 8:46 AM

GoPhone expiry date, is the SIM now cancelled?

Greetings,

I know that there has been many questions asked about the expiry date of the GoPhone plan. However, I can't find an answer to my question.

My GoPhone plan expired on November 11 2016. I thought I had no need to top it up again but something has come up (I live in Australia and will be going to the USA in March) and I logged into my account yesterday which is 65 days after the expiry date. I am given an option to "Refill now to renew your plan." My plan was for $75 for 8 GB of data. I was able to top up my account with the minimum of $10 as suggested by another post. I don't want to use this plan again until March 15 (another 58 days). I realise that the $10 will be forfeited as it falls within the one month refill expiration plan. 

I am confused as to whether my GoPhone is now cancelled (the sim cannot be used) as it is over the 60 day maximum. If the plan has been cancelled, how can it be renewed by adding funds to the account? If it can't be renewed, how can I refill the plan as that would be trying to add funds that cannot be used by any process? 

I would be happy to add funds to the plan if it would stay active and can be used between March 15 and April 12 as it saves the hassle of visiting an AT&T shopfront. But that means adding another $65 or perhaps $75 to use the plan starting from March 15. I am not convinced that my plan will be able to be renewed so could someone provide a definitive response about the expiration date? If my plan has completely expired, why not just close the account and avoid any confusion about adding funds when they can't be used.

Thanks

Stephen

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Associated Member

• 

111 Messages

7 years ago

Hi stephen2615,

We are always willing to help you fix problems with your phone that’s why we’re always looking for ways so you can contact us easily.

GoPhone expiry date, is the SIM now cancelled?

If you are able to still login to your account online means that your account is still working and active. Literally the phone number is active but the plan is not. That's the reason why the service is not working. My best advice is to refill $10 to the account for 1 month extension or $25 for 3 month extension (the extension is for the phone number to be active not the service). The money will stay on the account if you are going to use it in march you just need to make sure the balance is sufficient to renew (JUST MAKE SURE THE TOTAL PAYMENT  THAT YOU WILL BE ADDING ON THE ACCOUNT WHILE YOU ARE IN AUSTRALIA IS NOT GOING TO BE A TOTAL OF $60 OR ELSE IT WILL RENEW THE PLAN).

Just in case the same thing will happened again in the future every time that you are planning to leave the state you may call customer service

to extend the validity of your phone number. If ever worst comes to worst and the phone number is cancelled you can still use the same device and get a FREE simcard on any at&t store for activation of a new number.

Hope this help you understand things more.

Regards,

Elroy

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Associated Member

• 

111 Messages

7 years ago

Stephen,

Not a problem.

The $10 I put on yesterday will expire on Feb 17. Will that trigger another 60 day inactivity time frame?

The $10 is only going to be good 30 days from the time you have added the payment. 

$10 added Jan 17,2017 will be good until Feb 16, 2017 (30 Days), and that will trigger another 60 days inactivity time frame until April 17,2017. (Be sure to add atleaset $10 on or before April 17, 2017 just in case you cannot go here and use the service).

If so, I assume that I can add the $75 on March 15 Australian time (the day before I arrive in the USA) and that will activate the plan thus giving me data when I arrive there.

Yes you can add $65 (you have already added $10) on your account March 15 2017 australian time. That will activate your data when you arrive here in the Usa.

Regards.

Official Solution

Associated Member

• 

111 Messages

7 years ago

Hello again,

The $75 plan for 8GB worth of data is for hotspot/tablet. The extension depends on how much money you add on that specific instance. If you already added $10 that will extend the validity for 30 days, adding another $15 will only extend the account 30 days from the time you have added the money.

$10 - $24 = 30 days

$24 - 99 = 60 days

$100 = 365 days

But as I have informed you earlier adding enough money (in your case $75 will renew the account regardless if you use it or not).

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Did you happen to check if there was a balance on your account? The reason I ask is there is no $75 plan. The 8GB plan is $60. I'm thinking if you put $75 on your account originally, there was still a positive balance when your plan expired in November which would explain why your account was  still active even though it's been more than 60 days since your plan expired. The way it works is your account is cancelled if your account balance is $0 for more than 60 days after your plan expires. Refills expire at different lengths depending on the amount. $10-$24 refills expire in 30 days, $25-$99 expires in 90 days, $100 or higher expires in a year. The way to hold your account until March is to fill with at least $25. When you come back, simply add enough to pay for the 8GB plan.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for the responses. The plan I got was a $75 - 8GB plan as shown by the pic attached. Has there been a price drop?

There was no balance on the plan so I added $10 without really understanding that I should have added more to keep the account active. It really is somewhat difficult to understand. Eg, in Australia, if you don't use your prepaid number after six months, it automatically is cancelled. It does not appear anywhere on the telco's accounts. As I did not understand what the web page was telling me (I didn't know if I could activate the plan because of the 60 day ruling) I only put on the minimum amount. I should have put on $25 ($25 - $99 = 90 days). At least I now understand what is going on. Just out of interest, can I add $15 to have the balance equal $25? Or is it based on the exact date the funds are put onto the account?

It is a pity that the information offered to the subscriber is not more informative.

When I go to add funds, this is what I see

att.png

att1.png

2 Attachments

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Hi Elroy,

Thank you for your patience.Smiley Happy

The $10 I put on yesterday will expire on Feb 17. Will that trigger another 60 day inactivity time frame?

If so, I assume that I can add the $75 on March 15 Australian time (the day before I arrive in the USA) and that will activate the plan thus giving me data when I arrive there.

Regards

Stephen

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks. You are very helpful. I appreciate your responses.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Hi Elroy, 

I have a GoPhone SIM with $65.33 on it and it is said to expire Dec 14. I tried to reach your customer service department to speak to an actual representative, but I was unable to connect to one. Is it possible to extend this deadline since there is so much money on my account? I would hate to lose this. I former colleague of yours mentioned to me a few months ago that AT&T can extend activation for customers if they have a lot on their balance. I travel outside of the US at times and so I am not able to use up everything I have on this account. Please help! Thank you so much. 

Rosanna 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.