Unlimited Data for $50/mo.
edsena's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sun, Jul 31, 2016 6:47 PM

GoPhone Expiration && Cancelation

Hi,

I live in Brazil and come to US a few times a year, because of my work. Everytime I come I have to buy a new sim and activate a new gophone $45 plan, to get the 3Gb data allowance; Most of the times, I stay one week or less, and I only buy that plan because the international roaming charges for data are ridiculously expensive on my country (and I have a dual-sim phone)

But the catch is that every travel I have to go to an AT&T store to do this procedure and spend $10 on a new sim. I was wondering if by the end of my current plan I could change it to 25¢/min and leave that way until coming back to the US. That way, a couple of days before boarding I would add credit online and switch back to the $45, saving me time and allowing me to start using the sim right after landing.

The terms of use (https://m.att.com/shopmobile/legal/terms.prepaidPlanTerms.html) says that:

1. GoPhone accounts for phone plans, except Emergency Phone, will be canceled 60 days after expiration.
  2. GoPhone accounts for data plans and Emergency Phone will be cancelled 365 days after expiration

By that, I understand that I want to stick with the "GoPhone accounts for data plans" (for the matter of facts, I don't use voice or texting on that sim, just internet). How can I achieve that?  I coudn't find any reference of "GoPhone accounts for data plans" on AT&T's web site... 

ACE - Sage

• 

92.3K Messages

5 y ago

If you put $100 a year on the line it would keep your number and sim active.  Changing to the 25 cent pay per use is the way to go, then you can switch to a $45 plan when you come back to the US.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 y ago

That's an alternative, for sure; But what's that "GoPhone for data" listed in the terms of use ? I'd like to avoid leaving a $100 balance on the account, if I can.

I don't need the sim active while abroad, the "expired but not cancelled" status works fine for me... 

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

55.5K Messages

5 y ago

I'm pretty sure "GoPhone for data" is for data only devices such as tablets. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 y ago

... in terms that they provide no air time or text messaging capabilities ? I'm OK with that, I just use data anyway. 

... or, do you mean that it can't be used on phones, contractually ?!

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

55.5K Messages

5 y ago

Meaning it can't be used on phones, only data only devices. 

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.