HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!
phatphug

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wed, Jul 19, 2017 8:03 PM

Does AT&T PREPAID have a travel plan?

Hello,

I'll be visiting the US for three weeks in September, and would like to get a local (American) sim card to use during my stay. My needs are primarily for data (preferably 4G) and tethering that data for my tablet.

Some questions:

1. As a tourist, can I purchase a Prepaid sim card?
  2. Do I require a US credit card to do so, or can I pay cash or an international credit card? (mastercard)
  3. What are the data options, my usage will be quite high, would ideally like around 10GB of 4G data (with tethering/hotspots).
  4. Are there any restrictions on making calls using data (Whatapp or Viber calls for example).

thanks!

Andrew

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

75.2K Messages

3 years ago

Thank you again, I don't want to steer people wrong and we do get this exact question from people visiting the US and Canada.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

37.9K Messages

3 years ago

@ATTDmitriyCM Would the same be true of the unlimited plus plan and tethering in Canada or Mexico?

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
ATTDmitriyCM

Community Manager

• 

9.3K Messages

3 years ago

@sandblaster

I reviewed all the info we have on Unlimited Plus plans and there is nothing that says there is a limitation like that, so I believe the mobile hotspot should work even when roaming in Canada or Mexico.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have an answer that worked for you? Help other users by marking helpful posts as an "Accepted Answer". And don't forget to leave a Like!

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
phatphug

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

@sandblaster @lizdance40 @ATTDmitriyCM Thank you for clarifying AT&T's position on tethering. I will go for the $45 plan when I arrive.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Hi, I bought at&t prepaid card for 45$ with 6GB dates, and unlimited calls and texts. And including free call and texts to 100 countries. I can call to Czech republic unlimited and free? 

Thank you.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

75.2K Messages

2 years ago

@Monika0

No, long distance calls are not free.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

adidaskid808

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

2 years ago

@Monika0 
You can look for a long distance calling card cost for US$5 to US$20 when you're in USA.
There is a 1 800 number for making long distance calls for 1 cents to 3 cents per min.
You can use that with the unlimited calls .

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

I am going on a cruise from Fort Lauderdale to the Caribbean and Mexico and would like to purchase a pre-paid plan in Fort Lauderdale before leaving. My needs are to be able to call from the ship in the above locations to Canada. The tourist plan does not allow for international calling. Any suggestions? Will be on cruise for 8 days.

Thank you for your assistance

Judy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

Hi ATT team,

I want to know whether my passport will be good enough for buying a prepaid card for tourist purpose or any other document is required from my side?

Regards,

Raghav

adidaskid808

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

a year ago

@Cruise  
Hi Judy,
 Don't think it worth all the trouble for 8 days.
 You cannot call from the cruise with AT&T prepaid.
 Calling from Cruise ships or using data at sea are F****** expensive !!!

FYI  !! Are you from Canada?? 
Why don't you get your service with Rogers ???
Rogers prepay roaming are working in the Caribbean and Mexico.
But roaming voice call is about Can$3.50 to Can$5.00 a minute. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

I live in UK but on holiday in USA I purchased (severl years ago) an AT&T phone , on pay as you go. I have been toping up the account and now have a large balance. As I visit the USA twice a year but never will never use  all the credit. I inquired at your store in Boston Ma and was assured that as long as I had a balance the phone would connect when I visited the USA again. But checking the phone to day (in UK) I had a msg. as follows " SIM not provisioned mm#2" help?