Cyber Monday: Get a FREE Samsung Galaxy S22 with eligible trade-in & Free Galaxy Buds2 - while supplies last!
5GB of Hotspot Data With an Unlimited Plan
B

• 

7 Messages

Mon, May 25, 2020 9:20 AM

Currently Abroad - change plan to save money?

Hello,

I am currently abroad (not in the US) and I'll be here for a few months. I usually do the 35$/month plan, but since I have changed my SIM card I am not using my AT&T one at all, and I don't want to keep paying $35 a month if I'm not using it. I hear that if you suspend your account you still have to pay that monthly fee (in my case $35). If I switch to the 25c a minute plan, would that save me from paying the $35? Because obviously, I'm not using any minutes or texts because I'm using a different, non-US sim card?

Thank you

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

60.8K Messages

3 years ago

Yes, changing to the 25 cent plan stops you from paying for the $35 plan. The 25 cent plan requires you keep a positive balance on your account. If your balance is $0 for more than 60 days, your account is closed and your number lost.

• 

7 Messages

Thank you! So I would just need to put like $10 on my balance and then, since I'm not using any of it because I took my AT&T sim card out my phone, I won't be charged (Except of course for the $4.99 upfront fee and the $10 I add to my balance)?

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

60.8K Messages

Yes, $10 is enough but a $10 refill is only good for 30 days. Any $10-$24 refill expires in 30 days. A $25-$99 refill expires in 90 days and a $100 or higher refill expires in a year. You will need to add $10 every 30 days to avoid losing money, or $25 every 90 days. Most opt for a single $100 refill which is good for a year. That $100 will still be there to use on the $35 plan or any other plan when you return. I have no idea what that $4.99 upfront fee is. ATT does not charge any upfront fee.

Award for Community Excellence 2021 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

7 Messages

Thank you so much! Can I do less than $10? For example, so my balance is $0 now because I have the $35 Autopay set up. So I can switch plans, add $2 every 30 days and be golden until I get back to the US?

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

60.8K Messages

If it lets you add that little but I believe the minimum refill is $10. If it does allow a refill less than $10, I also believe anything less than $10 expires in 15 days.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

7 Messages

You've been a star, thank you. So if I put $100 on my account, I can move to the 25c plan as we discussed above, and then (if I'm reading your response correctly) when I switch back over to the $35 plan after I return to the US, AT&T will use the balance ($100) to pay my monthly $35 charge until the $100 runs out? So I won't lose any money, I can keep $100 on my account for the 25c plan, and then when I move back the money isn't wasted because it will be used to pay for the $35 plan once I've switched back?

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

Does anyone know if I can suspend my service? I am abroad and will probably only be back in the US in a few months time. If I suspend my service will they charge me? I don't want to be charged $35 a month if I am not using my SIM card at all.

Also, the automated chat is useless - do you know how to get to a person without having to phone? I don't want to pay for an international call.

Thank you

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Suspending Service
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

60.8K Messages

Suspending your service does you no good. You still either need to keep an active monthly plan or a pay per use plan with a positive balance. Your account will still close if your account balance is $0 for more than 60 days. The only way to get a person is to call. Prepaid does not do chat support.

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

From Australia: 

I am normally in the States for 4-5 months a year and change to the 25c prepaid plan with a $100 payment until my next visit. Because of Covid one cannot visit, in fact Australians cannot depart Australia. So... what to do with my ATT prepaid sim that expires on 10 February?? Forfeit the $100?

Appreciate any thoughts as I cannot find anything helpful on the ATT site. Thanks, Laurie

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

60.8K Messages

2 years ago

@AussieLaurie Your options are to refill your account with another $100 before 10 Feb to extend the expiration date another year or call customer support and ask if they will extend the expiration date of your balance. If you do neither, you will lose your balance and 60 days later lose your number. If you call, call the prepaid international support number.

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks, would that number be +1 408 962 1025?

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

60.8K Messages

2 years ago

would that number be +1 408 962 1025?

That’s the number.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.