Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
balst01's profile

Teacher

• 

106 Messages

Saturday, April 9th, 2022 4:45 PM

Cannot Make or receive calls on non AT&T 4G phone. 3G sunset is to blame.

Re-posting this since the other threads all have "Accepted solutions". In my opinion "buy a new phone" is not an acceptable solution, and I will not be marking it as such. AT&T need to fix this issue.

About 2 days ago, my phone stopped working for any voice calls. I have a Galaxy S10+ and I just upgraded to One UI 4.1, and I think this may have been the start of the issue. If you have a non-AT&T Galaxy, don't take the upgrade, it will kill your ability to make phone calls.

To help others out, so far, I have tried the following and it *DOES NOT* fix the issue:

• Restart the phone (several time). Of course this was never going to fix it
  • Call AT&T support and ask them to reset my wireless service, no help
  • Went in to the AT&T store and asked them to replace my SIM with a new one. Makes no difference at all
  • Did a factory reset on my phone. Doesn't help
  • Manually set the wireless settings according the the AT&T table in "Access point names" settings. Makes no difference

Just to be sure, I placed my SIM in my wife's phone (identical phone but she has not taken the One UI 4.1 upgrade), and her SIM in mine. My SIM works fine with my number in her phone. Her SIM fails with her number in my phone.

Conclusion: It's the phone, not the SIM, and even a factory reset won't help.

I think I know what is causing the problem; maybe one of the AT&T techs on this forum can confirm. AT&T have stated elsewhere that after the 3G sunset, having HD voice is a requirement to make calls, so there appear to be 2 requirements of phones:

1. Phone must be capable of 4G; this gets you service so you can use 4G data and send/receive text message via SMS
  2. Phone must be capable of HD Voice; this allows you to make and receive phone calls

If you have 1. but not 2. you can't use your phone to make calls, but everything else would appear to work fine.

The thing is, a Galaxy S10+ should be capable of HD Voice calling, but I think my upgrade to One UI 4.1 may have broken it. In addition, I have a foreign S10+ with the Samsung branded processors on-board (different to the U.S. models). 

Any of the AT&T techs care to comment?

BTW: "Buy a new phone" is *NOT* an acceptable solution, please fix it.

• 

290 Messages

2 years ago

@SPython I appreciate your response. 

Your phone is HD Voice capable... it's just whether At&t will allow it to work on their network.

The reason I keep asking or mentioning the IMEI is because that is how At&t system flags and restricts devices they don't want to work on the network. 

In my case, it wasn't a software update or SIM card issue (although I, as well as other customers... according to a customer service representative at my local store... had to ask for the old 2G/3G/4G SIM cards instead of the 4G/5G one)... it was that the system deemed the phone as incompatible... for either VoLTE, or HD Voice using the IMEI number. 

You having devices on the whitelist, but IMEI numbers that the system can't confirm is strange. 

However, @balst01 changed SIM cards... and a new one still didn't work for his phone... which says to me that it's the IMEI number.

Transfer your account information, including your phone number... to a new SIM card... but use the IMEI number of SIM card slot 2 on a phone that is compatible and fully functional with the network   

When the system confirms that IMEI number and the device that it's attached to... place that SIM card in your phone. 

You should still receive a notification from At&t saying that your device is not compatible and that you must upgrade. 

But the device should remain working... at least in my case it did. I have used a international device, not on either whitelist,  cutoff just before Feb 22... for at least a month now... with no further issues or notifications.   

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

2 years ago

@balst01

I placed my SIM in my wife's phone (identical phone but she has not taken the One UI 4.1 upgrade), and her SIM in mine. My SIM works fine with my number in her phone. Her SIM fails with her number in my phone.

But is it the same model number?   (S10+ is NOT a model number) 

Whitelisted models are:

Galaxy S10+1 (G975U1, G975W, G975F, G975F/DS)

Galaxy 10+1 (G975U)

I have a foreign S10+ with the Samsung branded processors on-board (different to the U.S. models).

And there is the problem.  

Qualcomm Snapdragon Exynos

The European models aren't on the list. 

You can argue and deny it, but if you want to keep the phone, switch to T-Mobile 

• 

290 Messages

2 years ago

@SPython  Try placing the SIM card from the AT&T Motivation phone into your S10+.

You should receive a notification that the device you're using is not compatible. 

But see if you can make calls. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

2 years ago

And

@balst01Except that my phone is 4G capable. AT& need to remove the requirement for HD Voice so calls will work again; this has nothing to do with 3G shutdown.

Not possible.   HD voice is at&t's voice over LTE.  Since the 3-g network no longer exist, your phone must be capable of making voice calls over the LTE network. And it can't.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

2 years ago

@Nicolas81

VoLTE and HD voice are not equivalent. It is a fingers thumb analogy. (All thumbs are fingers, but not all fingers are thumbs) .. 

HD voice is AT&T version of voice over LTE. Its carrier implementation of voice over LTE is different and is therefore named as HD voice because it is different.

AT&T could have used a more generic version which they claim is a lower-quality voice over LTE, but they didn't. And since they can only add their carrier settings to certified phones permitted by the manufacturer, and not all manufacturers have submitted, some phones will be excluded. 

• 

290 Messages

2 years ago

@formerlyknownas I appreciate your response. 

I'll say again that you are extremely knowledgeable when it comes to presenting the factual information... according to At&t. 

However... how would you explain why the Galaxy A70... a device that hasn't ever been on either AT&T whitelist... is still fully functional on the network... even using the HD Voice feature for calls?

Nothing about At&t HD Voice is priority. It's their system setup.

It flags and restricts devices that they don't want to work on the network. 

• 

290 Messages

2 years ago

@formerlyknownas And although I'm new to this forum format... if I were a betting man... I'd say that this post will be removed by the mods (as you put it in another post) because of the information shared here... as well as some of the language. 

Voyager

• 

78 Messages

2 years ago

@Nicolas81 

Yes - did that of course already and activated it - same deal

Voyager

• 

78 Messages

2 years ago

@formerlyknownas 

Ok so there is a difference - but VoLTE must be selected in order for the phone to work over 4G and the new network - and it did until the update to UI 4.1 - so the software is the issue.   The phone model we are discussing - G975F is Whitelisted  as previously mentioned.

• 

290 Messages

2 years ago

@SPython I appreciate your response. 

To be sure that I understand you correctly... you took the SIM Card from the device that At&t sent you..  which you had activated... placed it in your S10+... and was able to make calls?

If so, you should be able to continue using your S10+ with the SIM card from the replacement phone. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.