Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
balst01's profile

Teacher

• 

106 Messages

Saturday, April 9th, 2022 4:45 PM

Cannot Make or receive calls on non AT&T 4G phone. 3G sunset is to blame.

Re-posting this since the other threads all have "Accepted solutions". In my opinion "buy a new phone" is not an acceptable solution, and I will not be marking it as such. AT&T need to fix this issue.

About 2 days ago, my phone stopped working for any voice calls. I have a Galaxy S10+ and I just upgraded to One UI 4.1, and I think this may have been the start of the issue. If you have a non-AT&T Galaxy, don't take the upgrade, it will kill your ability to make phone calls.

To help others out, so far, I have tried the following and it *DOES NOT* fix the issue:

• Restart the phone (several time). Of course this was never going to fix it
  • Call AT&T support and ask them to reset my wireless service, no help
  • Went in to the AT&T store and asked them to replace my SIM with a new one. Makes no difference at all
  • Did a factory reset on my phone. Doesn't help
  • Manually set the wireless settings according the the AT&T table in "Access point names" settings. Makes no difference

Just to be sure, I placed my SIM in my wife's phone (identical phone but she has not taken the One UI 4.1 upgrade), and her SIM in mine. My SIM works fine with my number in her phone. Her SIM fails with her number in my phone.

Conclusion: It's the phone, not the SIM, and even a factory reset won't help.

I think I know what is causing the problem; maybe one of the AT&T techs on this forum can confirm. AT&T have stated elsewhere that after the 3G sunset, having HD voice is a requirement to make calls, so there appear to be 2 requirements of phones:

1. Phone must be capable of 4G; this gets you service so you can use 4G data and send/receive text message via SMS
  2. Phone must be capable of HD Voice; this allows you to make and receive phone calls

If you have 1. but not 2. you can't use your phone to make calls, but everything else would appear to work fine.

The thing is, a Galaxy S10+ should be capable of HD Voice calling, but I think my upgrade to One UI 4.1 may have broken it. In addition, I have a foreign S10+ with the Samsung branded processors on-board (different to the U.S. models). 

Any of the AT&T techs care to comment?

BTW: "Buy a new phone" is *NOT* an acceptable solution, please fix it.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

Making new posts isn’t going to change the facts regardless of what you think should be. So I won’t say buy a new phone I say change carriers and use your phone as long as you can until they shut down 3g by years end then buy a new phone 

Teacher

• 

106 Messages

2 years ago

Except that my phone is 4G capable. AT& need to remove the requirement for HD Voice so calls will work again; this has nothing to do with 3G shutdown.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

2 years ago

It doesn’t matter whether your phone is 4G or VoLTE capable, what matters is whether your particular model has been certified and is on ATT’s supported phones list. Apparently your foreign model phone was not certified and not on the list, end of story. Samsung is who decided not to certify your model. By the way, HDVoice is ATT’s implementation of VoLTE. It’s not just a requirement, it’s how calls are made on the LTE network. Without it, you can’t call. So yes, it very much has to do with the 3G shutdown. 

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

AT&T can’t remove the requirements it’s mandated by the FCC 

Teacher

• 

106 Messages

2 years ago

OK, so the Phone *is* 4G capable and it *is* VoLTE capable, and VoLTE is turned on in the settings. Moreover, my wife has an identical phone (and I mean, identical, down to the model, the original carrier, and even the purchase date), and her phone has no issues on the same AT&T plan on the same network. The only difference is that she did't upgrade to One UI 4.1 yet (and she won't be at this rate).

This model of phone should work, and does work for my wife; there is some other issue.

Teacher

• 

106 Messages

2 years ago

Oh, and the Galaxy S10+ *is* in the AT&T certified list, this phone is a standard SM-G975F.

So, are you saying AT&T will only certify the phones with the "U" subscript which are locked to the AT&T network.....give me a break! I need an unlocked phone, AT&T aren't the only carrier in the world.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

T-Mobile will accept you until April 

Teacher

• 

106 Messages

2 years ago

I'm sure they will, but I want it to work on AT&T just like my wife's identical phone, until someone who is actually authorized to reply on behalf of AT&T officially tells me that the SM-G975F is *NOT* supported.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

No one in these customer populated forums are authorized. 

Voyager

• 

78 Messages

2 years ago

I have exactly the same problem. Updated my international unlocked S10 plus G975F to UI 4.1 and can not make or receive calls. I get a busy signal and a cannot connect notice.  Wife's phone is also unlocked international dual SIM and was not updated.  Still on UI 4.0 so no problems with her phone.  Samsung S10 plus has VOLTE so there should be no problem on the current network.  In advance of the shutdown of 3G I made sure with the higher echelon of tech support last year that our IMEI etc was registered and it would not be disabled - so there has been no problem until this update.  I have had endless phone calls with tech support over the last two days and today one technician confessed that they have had numerous complaints and that the matter has been referred to their engineers with a possible fix in 48 hours.  Not sure I buy this - but we can only hope.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.