Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
malik007

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

Mon, Feb 21, 2011 1:18 PM

Can i change to a microsim?

I am considering upgrading my phone to a iphone4.  Will att give or sell me a updated microsim?

Anyone done this?

Responses

Wild Banchi

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@malik007 wrote:

I am considering upgrading my phone to a iphone4.  Will att give or sell me a updated microsim?

Anyone done this?

If you are wanting to upgrade your phone to ANY iPhone, the 4th included, on a prepaid plan, you cannot. For some reason, either AT&T or Apple decided against using iPhone's on prepaid plans. As much as I, myself, would love to be able to use and iPhone 3G/3GS/4 on my prepaid GoPhone plan, I cannot. It's not allowed, unfortunately. 😞

In response to your question, the only way to get an iPhone 4 with a MicroSIM is to get one through a postpaid plan. Other than that, you cannot get either at all.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

malik007

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

10 years ago

WOW.  This makes no sense. I am currently deciding whether to buy a HTC Smartphone running Android or IPhone.  From what youre saying AT&T only want me using Android. I dont get it.

Anyone have a link to the official ATT statement?

Wild Banchi

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@malik007 wrote:

WOW.  This makes no sense. I am currently deciding whether to buy a HTC Smartphone running Android or IPhone.  From what youre saying AT&T only want me using Android. I dont get it.

Anyone have a link to the official ATT statement?

I'm using an Android smartphone on prepaid - a Samsung Captivate. A very awesome phone it is. You can use the HTC smartphone you're wanting to purchase on your current prepaid plan. You can use ANY phone you want that's offered on AT&T for use on prepaid. It's just iPhone's that are not authorized for GoPhone use. Some people have managed to get away with using an iPhone 2G and even 3G on prepaid. I don't know how they did it, but I guess it's working for them.

Answer Center link...

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB110787&isSrch=Yes

Wild Banchi

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

Hmmm... Actually found this very interesting. I typed in a Google search on "iPhone 4 and Prepaid", and found this very interesting article...

http://modmyi.com/forums/unlocking-activation/715483-activate-iphone4-prepaid-t-sim.html

Of course, I don't know if such topics are allowed to be publicly discussed here, but it looks like it CAN be done after all...

malik007

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

10 years ago

Yes i thought about cutting my card down but worried about messing it up.

I dont understand the language on ATT's website which says the iphone is 'not eligible' with the prepaid.  

'not eligible' seems a strange word to use.  It indicates to me 'not eligible' at time of purchase.  Doesnt give any reason/explanation.  Doesn't say you cannot use a iphone or not allowed to use a iphone with the att prepaid service.

Whether im using a HTC or a iPhone should make no difference to ATT,  its all end user hardware.

Wild Banchi

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@malik007 wrote:

Yes i thought about cutting my card down but worried about messing it up.

I dont understand the language on ATT's website which says the iphone is 'not eligible' with the prepaid.  

'not eligible' seems a strange word to use.  It indicates to me 'not eligible' at time of purchase.  doesnt giev any reason.  Doesnt say you cannot use a iphone or not allowed to use a iphone with the att prepaid service.

Whether im using a HTC or a iPhone should make no difference to ATT,  its all end user hardware.

Yes, I sort of understand what you're saying about the "not eligible" phrase. I think what they're trying to say is that iPhone's are "not eligible", meaning "not allowed" for prepaid use.

But after reading that article and with the Google search, a part of me thinks that you CAN use an iPhone on prepaid, but you must undergo a very challenging and difficult process... 😐

malik007

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

10 years ago

I can't seem to get my head around it.

The prepaid supports a data service so you need a smartphone.  A iphone is a smartphone.

It's a bit like Comcast Cable TV or Verizon saying you can have our TV service and watch it with any TV except a Sony.  Sony TV's are 'not eligible'.

malik007

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

10 years ago

Having read around on this I am going to buy the new HTC.

I would have liked the iPhone but its not worth the hassle.

I don't see how this has helped ATT or Apple.   In my case Apple are losing the sale to HTC.

Wild Banchi

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@malik007 wrote:

Having read around on this I am going to buy the new HTC.

I would have liked the iPhone but its not worth the hassle.

I don't see how this has helped ATT or Apple.   In my case Apple are losing the sale to HTC.

That's probably what I would have done if I were in the same situation, also. For the HTC device, is it the Inspire "4G" that you're wanting to purchase? Just curious.

I'd have to agree with you, again. Apple is losing sales on the iPhone (regardless of which model) by not offering the phone on prepaid. It's not helping their relationship with AT&T, either, by them saying it is not allowed, or "eligible" for prepaid use.

Dumb move is what I would call it... 😉

JFizDaWiz

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

10 years ago

more than likely has to do with how much data the typical iPhone user uses that or they feel those people will just go to postpaid and have to pay more so more money for at&t

malik007

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

10 years ago

==============================================

more than likely has to do with how much data the typical iPhone user uses that or they feel those people will just go to postpaid and have to pay more so more money for at&t

==============================================

Hi

Using your argument that iPhone uses more data would mean more profit for ATT if they sold the iPhone over the other brands. ( prepaid forum.)

ATT are saying they only want their prepaid customers using HTC, Samsung, Google etc (Android) not Apple. I think what is important to keep in mind this isn’t really a downgrade/compromise to many users.  Android is good.  It is unlikely i am going to be unhappy with the HTC.  Surely the only one who loses out is Apple especially if I then become a loyal HTC/Android user.

From a commercial/business point of view the prepaid market is huge.  If I was in ATT’s position I would be offering the iPhone to buy on prepaid at a premium price and taking this market share and profits.  Instead they’re saying to me you’re ‘not eligible’  to use Apple so please buy a HTC, Samsung, Google Nexus phone instead.

If i was Apple I would not be happy.

malik007

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

10 years ago

==========================================

For the HTC device, is it the Inspire "4G" that you're wanting to purchase? Just curious.

Not decided on which model yet. Ive been leaning towards the HTC Desire.

Wild Banchi

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@malik007 wrote:

For the HTC device, is it the Inspire "4G" that you're wanting to purchase? Just curious.

Not decided on which model yet. Ive been leaning towards the HTC Desire.

Not a bad choice if I must say so myself... 😉

But otherwise I agree; Apple is just losing out not only by iPhone 4 sales, but 3G/3GS sales, also. In the conversation link provided on that discussion page, it seems people have managed to set up an iPhone 3G/3GS quite simply on prepaid... And even the 4 itself on some. It would just be difficult for the 4.

Apple, Apple, Apple... *sigh*

malik007

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

10 years ago

I was looking at the HTC Inspire 4G in Sams Club today ($450).  Its a very nice phone.  I will let you know what i get and post some pictures.

Interesting article here:

http://www.mobilemag.com/2011/02/22/htc-inspire-4g-restricted-by-att-no-true-4g/

Wild Banchi

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@malik007 wrote:

I was looking at the HTC Inspire 4G in Sams Club today ($450).  Its a very nice phone.  I will let you know what i get and post some pictures.

Interesting article here:

http://www.mobilemag.com/2011/02/22/htc-inspire-4g-restricted-by-att-no-true-4g/

I like the Inspire a lot. It's priced lower for full-retail than my Captivate ($599.99), but I picked up mine for $170. 😉

Yes, interesting article... Even though the Inspire doesn't operate on "true 4G", it still is sure of a heck of a phone. The screen is massive, 8MP camera (with flash), and that well-known HTC quality... I would rather take that with 3G instead of arguing about if it's really "4G" compatible.

Besides, there really is not much of a belief in "4G" (to me), anyway. People can't truly determine what is and what is not "4G". Instead, their minds are just "polluted" with marketing hype and all of these "honest" claims.

Get started...

Ask a new question