Online only offer – Get unlimited data for $25/mo. and 10GB hotspot data when you pay in advance for a year of AT&T Prepaid® Unlimited.
O

• 

2 Messages

Friday, March 20th, 2020 9:49 PM

Closed

ATT prepaid complaint

Hello, I no longer needed ATT prepaid service for my elderly dad. he was comfortable with his flip phone that was not under any contract and fully paid. Despite multiple requests over the course of 3 weeks, ATT refused to lock the phone. I eventually just bought another phone, but warned ATT that if I had to, I would cancel my home ATT internet and DirectTV package. ATT basically told me to (Edited per community guidelines) off, refused to lock the phone, and ended up making that old phone a brick. I did in fact cancel all ATT affiliated service. I am really angry with this terrible service, and ultimately I am happy that I don't have to deal with slow internet and other service related issues with substandard service and worse customer service. I'll never go back to ATT. You guys really let me down.

ACE - Sage

• 

113.5K Messages

4 years ago

This isnt at&t, its a community forum.

I assume you meant ’unlock’. As in carrier unlòck. User locks cannot be removed by the carrier. Carrier Unlocking a phone may allow it to work on other compatible carriers.

If dad’s old phone was 3g, it was usable on at&t until early 2022. At&t is not required to unlock all phones, and cannot unlock all phones.

All carriers are shutting down 3g services and 3g phones are not allowed to be activated on Verizon, Verizon’s MVNOs, At&t, AT&T’s MVNOs.

• 

2 Messages

thanks for the input everyone. First, I received an email in 24 hours advising me that my phone was unlocked and to enter the code provided to unlock. The email did not contain a code. I called and went to ATT several times and even contacted the phone manufacturer. I also field a complaint with FCC. 4 weeks later I received the actual unlock code. Any of your uninformed statements are not useful. I’m just warning you, if you have a prepaid phone with ATT, good luck getting them to unlock it.

ACE - Sage

• 

113.5K Messages

@onedissatisfied1

Old computer term; GIGO, stands for garbage in garbage out. What it means is we have to have proper information to give a decent answer. had you posted your second post the first time, i would have recommended an fcc complaint. manufacturers cannot give unlock codes.

glad its resolved

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

So what reason did they give you for not unlocking the phone? If it’s an older phone, it is very possible they can’t unlock it. If the unlock code is no longer available from the phone manufacturer, there isn’t anything ATT can do. Besides that, you probably don’t even need to unlock it. The only carrier an old flip phone will likely work on is T-Mobile. Even locked, it will still work on any of those MVNO’s that use ATT’s network like Straight Talk and Consumer Cellular.

Not finding what you're looking for?